Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to Clear Tall Grass Growth

Posted by buggdog CT (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 3, 08 at 21:35

Im just wondering if there is some machine I can rent that can easily cut tall grass growth (3 years worth or so...new house and this is growing on a hill). The grass last summer was about knee to waist high...now it is matted down and dead but pretty thick with a couple bigger weed things growing. I want to clear it and keep it mowed because it keeps creeping into my backyard.

How can I get it down to a mow-able level? I was going to weed wack but that would take forever. Is there a machine I could rent?

Thanks for any help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to Clear Tall Grass Growth

Depending on the size of the lot and your budget I would rent, hire, or borrow a tractor with a bush hog. Make multiple passes to cut it up good. Maybe spray it with Roundup too.

o

Is it needed to help with erosion?

o

The tall grass is on a downward hill that gets fairly steep. I would say the area is about 125 feet by 70 feet. But near the top there is at least 20 feet or so that isnt that steep and is "useable" as a continuation of backyard. So I want to just cut down the overgrowth and try to get regular grass growing there as the ground cover. Right now, by the end of the season the hill just looks like a mess with the tall growth.

I wouldnt feel very safe using a tractor on the hill. Are there any suggestions?

o

• Posted by tak2w 8a Eastern NC (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 4, 08 at 9:26

If it is too steep for a tractor, and too large to do with a weed whacker, I don't know....maybe one of the walk behind bush hog type mower that are advertised on TV...I think the brand is DR or Troybilt, but not sure. I don't know if anyone rents them or not. Do you know anyone with some goats you can borrow or rent? Stake some hungry goats out on that hill and they will take care of it in no time.

o
RE: One more thought

Fri, Apr 4, 08 at 9:29

Is it in town or in the country? Since the grass is dead, if you have the space, and it is legal in your area, you can burn it. Just be careful!

o
Bush hog

Burning is out of the question...but that sure owuld be fun to do.

So I did a search for a troybilt bush hog type machine and I found this...

http://www.amazon.com/Troy-Bilt-25A-258J766-22-Inch-Trimmer-Mower/dp/B0001AU34M

Is this what you are talking about as far as a walk behind bush hog? I will have to see if anyone rents these things...but it looks to me that it might do the job if I can find one.

o

Fri, Apr 4, 08 at 13:17

No, that's not what I was talking about. That is a weed eater on wheels. My FIL has one of those and it works great to trim around his fences, sheds, etc., but don't think it would be the best for what you need to do.

See the link below for the one I was referring to. They do have a "6 month risk free trial".....hmmm... :)

Here is a link that might be useful: DR Field & Brush Mower

o

Thanks so much. That looks like it will surely do the job. Hopefully someone around here rents those.

I appreciate the help!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here