Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help ID this weed

Posted by brian282002 GA (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 8, 14 at 21:35

Hi all! I'm new to this forum and there is a lot of great info here. Can anyone help me ID this weed in my Bermuda lawn?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help ID this weed

no help on the ID but it appears you have more than one undesirable there

o

I do have several types of weeds. I put scott's crabgrass preventer down in late feb and just a couple of weeks ago I sprayed nutsedge which was recommended by a guy at the nursery. The nutsedge did help, but not so much on the weed I need help to ID.

o

That does look like a crabgrass.

o

Cant be crabgrass it was green the whole winter. It just wasn't growing at all.

o

What zone are you in? In my zone/area, crabgrass stays green all winter (winter averaging about 40-50 F and nights of 35-40 F) and then in early spring, it starts growing and making seed stalks similar to the 2 that you have growing down and down-left in your picture.

They also have shallow roots that you can grab your hand around the entire plant base and pull up pretty easily. On dry days, the dirt can crumble back down to its spot and not look too disturbed as one hand-weeds the crabgrass out of the yard.

o

it's quack grass. round up will work

o

I'm in zone 7B. I'd rather not pull it by hand because I have a lot of it. Is there anything that I can use that wont kill my Bermuda? Most of the weeds are located in my backyard. My front yard isn't so bad.

If it's quackgrass, i'd rather not use roundup. I suppose I could wait until next winter and use roundup if don't find a solution before then, but that's along ways off.

This post was edited by brian282002 on Thu, Apr 10, 14 at 13:41

o

You could use a paint brush to apply the RU on each clump of Quackgrass so you keep it away from your Bermuda.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here