Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chuco_ber_grower

Why is grass growing uneven?

chuco_ber_grower
11 years ago

I live in Texas and layed down bermuda sod in my backyard appox 1 yr ago. I have a sprinkler system and use scotts weed control fert. The first pic is when i layed down the sod one yr ago. The following pics are from Feb to present (the latest pic is appox 3 weeks old) I see this problem all around town and i see nice even lawns growing in as well. Should i worry? will this go away with time? Thank you.

Comments (11)

• chuco_ber_grower
    Original Author
    11 years ago

heres in mid feb

• chuco_ber_grower
    Original Author
    11 years ago

around 2 weeks ago.

• MarioTx
    11 years ago

Check out the post I started on here a week ago, I believe you will find your answer. Some good advice from some of the best.Heres the link

Here is a link that might be useful: post

• chuco_ber_grower
    Original Author
    11 years ago

thanks mario tx. What did you end up using after all.. wasnt able to pinpoint..

• MarioTx
    11 years ago

I went the round up route as I had way to many to just simply pull. Another poster said he bought some Celsius and is having success. My sod was just laid a year ago as well, starting looking just like yours around Feb as well. I'm still working on getting rid of it.

• lou_spicewood_tx
    11 years ago

http://www.imageforweeds.com/Nutsedge/index.html

I *think* that's what you use to get rid of those grassy weeds. The typical weed control that most use (D-2,4) don't really work on grassy weeds.

• chuco_ber_grower
    Original Author
    11 years ago

thanks lou good website.. ill be looking into that product. mario i just used some ortho crabgrass control to help reduce spread as well as some spot control. Im going to start to pull out weeds in a day or two. Im just afraid of the aftermath.. i have a feeling its going to look awful since im going to pull so many out. :(. wish me luck.

• MarioTx
    11 years ago

It will, but like others suggested fill in the holes with some potting soil or plug in some Bermuda plugs. The ones I've been pulling have left a decent size hole in my lawn. The Bermuda should fill in pretty fast.

Actually now that I think about it it'll fill quicker then what you think. I remember att had dug a 15 ft trench to run from the yard to the house and I filled it in with some dirt and the Bermuda filled pretty quick. Never even noticed it. I had completely forgot about that.

• chuco_ber_grower
    Original Author
    11 years ago

After about a week of using ortho weed b gon crab grass I notice some of the grassy weeds are beginning to die. I just applied another weed b gon and hopefully it will kill more. I have pulled some of them out. They were pretty tough. It looks like its going to be a long summer but I want to have a clean lawn by next year. Ilk keep you guys posted.

• therock050383
    11 years ago

almost looks like fescue mixed in....if that the case, the bermude will continue to take over. Keep it fertilized and cut short. but I'm guessing its not fescue since youre in texas.

be careful spraying for grassy weeds once your grass springs back to life.

• dchall_san_antonio
    10 years ago

Wish you had a close up taken in the shade. From a distance that looks like normal, sodded, bermuda coming out of dormancy to me. We don't see it every year here in the forums, but I've seen it discussed before. Need a much closer pic.