Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lawn Help Needed

Posted by movinginva Zone 7, SE Virginia (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 12, 11 at 22:15

I know that this topic has probably been covered a million times, but I need a bit of help. I may be panicking prematurely, but I am very worried about our lawn. When we moved in early fall last year, the lawn was green and beautiful, it of course dried over the winter, and I am worried that it is not growing back like it should. The past homeowner did tell us that he fertilized twice a year, but with everything going on with our move, fertilizing the lawn was neglected. I wonder if that is the reason why the lawn has not fully grown in, or if I am just being impatient. I would hate to know that we somehow managed to mess up such a beautiful lawn. Should I relax and let it be, or is there something I should be doing right now in order to remedy the problem? I am in Southeastern Virginia, and I will admit, it has not rained a whole lot as yet this spring.

I do not know what kind of grass it is, I do know that the blades are wider and when the grass is growing, it looks very lush. . . . I know, that is not a whole lot to go on. If you need some more information or maybe a picture in order to help some more, just let me know and I will get that tomorrow.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lawn Help Needed

You've narrowed the grass down to 'not fescue,' which would have remained green during the winter.

The fact that you did not fertilize last fall might delay the greening this spring. Just wait it out. When you have mowed the grass for the second time, then you can fertilize. Don't fertilize again until Labor Day or beyond. Then fertilize again several weeks after your first fall app. Most fertilizer should be applied in the fall. That's why the double drop in fall.

o

Thanks for the response.

Should I seed it at all and if so, what kind of seed should I get?

Thanks!

o

If you could post a picture or two of your lawn, I think you will get a response with more accurate information on how to proceed.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here