Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Advice on using a power rake to remove rocks

Posted by growingadvice 5b (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 19, 13 at 22:47

Sometime this summer I will be taking down a maple tree, dig out the stump, put in a sprinkler system and replace my walkway.
With this, I will most likely get a tone of rocks. Usually pebbles to 2 inches. I know this bc I had work done in the back yard and the rock situation was horrible, so I'm guessing this will be more of the same. It seems we have a few inches of decent topsoil and rocky fill after that, that gets brought up to the surface once anything is dug up.

The plan is to reseed the front yard. (approx 1000sq ft)

I've been calling around and the only available thing available to rent locally that I've been told may work for this purpose would be a York Power-Rake.

I dont want get through all this, rent the power rake (just under 600$ for one day delivered along with the tractor), then figure out it is not going to do what I want to do. i.e. leave a gravelly surface left.

Can anyone give me some advice on this?

I may kill the whole lawn in the fall and start over. Would the power rake be an appropriate tool? Or would I have to remove sod first?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Advice on using a power rake to remove rocks

here's a pic of what I'm dealing with:

o

I'm sorry that I have no advice but I hope someone else posts because I also have gravel and rock to deal with although not nearly as prominent as yours. I have topsoil for maybe 3 inches and then gravelly dirt and then below that dirt with actual rocks. What I've been doing so far is, each time I need to work in an area I dig it by shovel and I screen out the rocks and gravel. Obviously this is not at all efficient.

o

You will be disappointed and have a lot of work in using a power rake on such surface. A power rake is more of a leveling tool to loosen the top depths of the soil. It can be used to remove rocks if you run it at a cant which will leave a trough of rocks that you have to go back and pickup either by shovel or putting a bucket on the machine and scoop them up, at which time you will also remove dirt if not careful.

I would use a rock hound. It separates and discards the rocks into a bin at the same time. It will also leave you with a perfect seed bed of powdered soil. That is if you have any topsoil in there and minimal leveling is needed.

Watch some youtube videos of each piece of equipment being run and you will get a better idea what I am talking about.

o

Thanks.
I thought about that too, but my understanding is that it will only sift out rocks bigger than about an 1 1/2 in--2 in!

Have u guys heard/experianced different?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here