Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oklahoma_sooner

Lawn Bumpy After Seeding and Rain

oklahoma.sooner
11 years ago

Hello!

I just bought a new house here in central Oklahoma, and the backyard was mostly bare. Bermuda had been grown in the past, but a tree had since matured and created more shade than the bermuda could stand in almost the entire backyard.

We moved in in late March, and last Friday I removed all the weeds and existing grass, thoroughly raked, and leveled the back yard. Then I applied started fertilizer and Scott's tall fescue mix, which I raked into the soil. This Monday and Tuesday (days 3 and 4 after seeding), we received intense rain. Today (day 6) I can see the fescue sprouting up with fairly good coverage, but there are a few areas that are thin, I suspect due to the seed being carried away by the heavy rain. Other than that, it looks like the seed is going to come in very nicely with fairly good coverage.

Now for my question: the lawn is quite bumpy now due to the heavy rain creating small streams and pools across the backyard. The fescue is just barely coming up right now. I am wondering what is the best way to go about leveling out the bumps in the lawn. Should I wait until the grass is more established or is there something I should be doing now? I have read that some people mix sand and soil 50/50 and fill holes with it. My problem with that is that I have some high spots that are higher than I want the overall level of the lawn to be.

I am a rookie, so I am more than willing to admit if I am asking a simple question.

Thanks!

Comments (2)