Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lawn Bumpy After Seeding and Rain

Posted by oklahoma.sooner Central Oklahoma (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 5, 12 at 22:50

Hello!

I just bought a new house here in central Oklahoma, and the backyard was mostly bare. Bermuda had been grown in the past, but a tree had since matured and created more shade than the bermuda could stand in almost the entire backyard.

We moved in in late March, and last Friday I removed all the weeds and existing grass, thoroughly raked, and leveled the back yard. Then I applied started fertilizer and Scott's tall fescue mix, which I raked into the soil. This Monday and Tuesday (days 3 and 4 after seeding), we received intense rain. Today (day 6) I can see the fescue sprouting up with fairly good coverage, but there are a few areas that are thin, I suspect due to the seed being carried away by the heavy rain. Other than that, it looks like the seed is going to come in very nicely with fairly good coverage.

Now for my question: the lawn is quite bumpy now due to the heavy rain creating small streams and pools across the backyard. The fescue is just barely coming up right now. I am wondering what is the best way to go about leveling out the bumps in the lawn. Should I wait until the grass is more established or is there something I should be doing now? I have read that some people mix sand and soil 50/50 and fill holes with it. My problem with that is that I have some high spots that are higher than I want the overall level of the lawn to be.

I am a rookie, so I am more than willing to admit if I am asking a simple question.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lawn Bumpy After Seeding and Rain

Can you elaborate on how you leveled the soil?

Now that grass is growing, you'll have to wait to level it, but how you do that depends on what you did before you seeded. And did you roll the seed down with a roller?

o
RE: Lawn Bumpy After Seeding and Rain

I just have to say, as an OKC'an, it took my fescue almost a full 20 days before growing 1/4 inch. Mad props on yours, you did something right.

As far as leveling, If you touch the little seeds now and try to level, I'd think they'd get upset with that and try to die on you. On leveling your lawn, I don't have an answer but I'll suggest some things:

1) If your ankle is rolling when you walk across the lawn, I'd level now and reseed (especially if it will spring back up in 4 days). BUT, we are supposed to get heavy rainfall for the next week, which could erode your yard and cause more channels to form.
2) If you re level and reseed, would hay or straw help prevent erosion? On light rains I could see it helping. But an Oklahoma down pour would still form channels.
3) If your ankle isn't rolling, I'd wait for the grass to get established and then fill in "weird" areas with some light top soil until the leveling you want is achieved.

I need to mention I'm an amateur and know nothing about growing grass really. A lot more people are more qualified. I just know what a pain it is to grow fescue in OKC. Cheers

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here