Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sistersgrimm_gw

Wet lawn

sistersgrimm
14 years ago

Hi everyone,

I live in the Vancouver area of BC and my backyard is VERY wet, we are in an area that has a lot of clay and a high water table. During the winter there is often pools of water 4" deep standing on the lawn in certain areas. This is usually when the tide is high and it's raining (most of the winter). The front yard also floods in one area but I'm not as concerned about that.

Add to this two German Shepherds that like to run through the yard you can only imagine how muddy my back yard has become.

This is all compounded by the fact that the yard directly to the east is the lowest yard of the 5 that border it and the yard. The yard was designed with sump pumps which are now broken. The neighbor's yard behind me is also probably 8-12 inches higher than mine. Before we had the dogs we just lived with the really soggy yard and stayed out of it for most of the winter.

I'm hoping you can tell me whether my plan is a good one or not or if there is anything else I should consider.

At one end of the yard where the largest pond is created I want to plant a curly willow, hoping that this will help some of the extra water in that area.

I want to add several yards of sand and good top soil to the yard and till it all in and raise the yard about 4 inches overall on a gradual slope to the north fence (that yard is higher).

I want to dig a trench a foot wide and 18" deep across the width of the back yard. I plan to put a section of drainage tubing in the trench and fill with drainage rocks.

Do you think these things will help over all?

Also what type of grass seed should I look for that can withstand HEAVY traffic, shade and wet conditions?

Comments (3)