Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ljbrandt

Zoysia problem spots

ljbrandt
14 years ago

I've been trying to maintain a recently sodded small Zoysia lawn (previous owner) and have a few issues I'd like to address here and maybe get some good advice! I'll list them and be concise and intend to post pictures later.

1. How often to fertilize? Heard conflicting information for Zoysia...some here say only twice a year, Scotts says 3-4 times. Local Lawn Doctor wants to fertilize every 6-weeks!!!

2. There are thin spots and a larger bare area...several small thin patches of grass that don't seem to be getting thick and lush as some other areas in the yard. We've been getting great rain this year...what are some typical approaches? Most info online basically says to consult with a local lawn service to fix it...yeah right.

3. What kind of fertilizer?

4. How do you know when thach is a problem?...Aerate? Dethatching without the expensive machines?

5. Liming...? Soil is slightly acidic...is it worthwhile to lime...how sensitive is zoysia to pH?

Like I said Ill try and post some pics...I've read the Scotts lawn guide and there doesn't seem to be much specific info for zoysia grass...is there an online guide for zoysia similar to the Bermuda bible?

Thanks guys!

Comments (9)

• texas_weed
    14 years ago

1. Zoysia should only be fertilized 2 or 3 times of year depending on your location and length of growing season. First application is made with a balanced fertilizer like 20-5-10 after the grass is fully greened up in the spring. Second application is 8 to 10 weeks after first application with a nitrogen only fertilizer like 39-0-0 or 34-0-0. If you live on the gulf region you can apply a third application of nitrogen 8 weeks after 2nd application. Zoysia is a heavy thatcher and over fertilizing Zoysia amplifies the problem.

2. Cannot answer without more info, anything would be a guess on my part.

3. Use slow release urea type fertilizers like those from a Lesco dealer.

4. Zoysia is a heavy thatcher and should be de-thatched at least every other year if not every year especially if over fertilized. Core aeration is not real effective with thatch, best to use a rake or power rake (aka vertical mower).

5. Optimum soil PH for Zoysia is a acidic soil of 5.9 to 6.8 favoring the 6.8 neutral side. Only your soil lab tech can tell you what you need.

• ljbrandt
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Regarding question 2: Here are some pictures I took today:

Healthy part of Lawn
    {{gwi:90334}}
    By tallyho500, shot with Canon PowerShot S30 at 2009-05-29

Thin spots
    {{gwi:90335}}
    {{gwi:90336}}

Large bare area
    {{gwi:90337}}

Upclose large bare area
    {{gwi:90338}}

Healthy area pulled back (thatch?)
    {{gwi:90339}}

• texas_weed
    14 years ago

Well after seeing the first picture I was about to say: What Problem?

Then I scrolled down.

It is a fungal problem. This may sound strange to you, but go to a farm store aka grain coop and buy you enough cornmeal in 50-pound bags to cover the entire area at a rate of 20 pounds per 1000/ft2.

Yes it is the same corn meal you eat, just a whole lot less expensive. For example a 1-pound can from the grocery store will cost about $2. A 50 pound sack from the coop will cost around $9. Strange huh?

• ljbrandt
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks!!

I will get on that immediately!

I assume the cornmeal will neutralize the fungus, but how long will it usually take? Is it worthwhile to use a spreader or should i just distribute by hand...also, do I need to do spread the cornmeal over the entire lawn or just on the affected areas? Water in afterward and/or mow? How soon after to fertilize. :-) (I know, alot of questions).

Thanks again!

P.S. Looking at the last picture, do you see thatch as being a problem yet?

• bpgreen
    14 years ago

If I were in your shoes, Id spread the corn meal over the entire lawn. In addition to combating the bad fungus, it's also a mild fertilizer.

• texas_weed
    14 years ago

You should see results in 2 to 3 weeks. As BP says use it over the whole lawn and count it as one fertlizer application.

• ljbrandt
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Just a quick follow-up: From the pictures, any idea of what kind of fungus it is?

• texas_weed
    14 years ago

Brown patch

• pat_inmygarden
    14 years ago

Hi - I just posted about a similar problem in the Alabama forum. I have this same look to a patch of my Zoysia lawn, about 8 ft. across, roughly circular. I also have holes in the lawn though. They look a lot like squirrels digging up acorns, but I have been researching and see that it may be either from grubs or from animals going after the grubs.

I sprayed the area with Daconil today, as recommended by my local nursery. I had earlier treated it with milky spore (last year) and Grub control chemical (new to Scott's line). So I have gone at this from several directions. I guess my question is - should I assume there are grubs there and treat for them too, or wait to see if the Daconil works its magic?