Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meisocal

Lawn Help

meisocal
10 years ago

I am recently unemployed and finally getting to all the problem areas that get neglected when busy with work.

DH didn't notice that our sprinklers to the back yard was not coming on. This was late last summer when we had a huge heat wave = result was many parts of the 2 yr old Marathon lawn went dead.

Since then, many parts of this yard has been taken over by many different weeds and DH had not been mowing regularly. I have been hand pull the dandelions and various other weeds that I can't name and will continue to do so. I have fixed the sprinkler problem and have been had watering additional on extra hot days for this time of year. I have also fed the lawn for the first time in months and have been moving once very 10 days to allow the grass to grow a little taller before it gets cut. I will try to locate our mulching attachment to the mower and will begin to do that as it is getting warmer and it would help amend the lawn.

The soil conditions are very compact and difficult to aerate. We sit on an old river bed so, water tends to take a long time to absorb, but water tends to be held for a good period of time. This even though we amended and tilled in lots of compost when we put in new sod about 3 yrs ago. I have been reading other posts and will try the shampoo trick once it cools down.

To try to get the conditions of the yard in a better position so that I can re-seed when the fall comes I would love some advice.

BTW - We live in Rancho Cucamonga, CA 91701.

Comments (3)