Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New homeowners needs help making crappy lawn look good!

Posted by bgaviator 7 (My Page) on
Tue, May 27, 14 at 4:17

Just moved into a new house, and well, the yard looks terrible. Lots of weeds, and bare spots. Should I attempt to fix this myself, or hire a professional company? It's already hitting 90 degrees during the day here, and I notice a lot of the DIY Scotts seed products say to apply when temps are cooler than what they've been currently getting. I'm not even sure what type of grass I have....many people around my area have Bermuda grass, but I don't think that's what is here....I know someone with Bermuda grass and it's more dense and spongy like. Maybe Fescue or Zoysia? Those three seem to be most popular in my region it seems. Tell me what you think based on these pics.
Pic #1 is on a steep hill we have in the back....this area has tons of dead spots....not sure if it's from erosion, or a bug problem. I had a friend look at this pic and he said looks like bug damage.
 photo photo16.jpg
Here is a view of the front yard
 photo photo17.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New homeowners needs help making crappy lawn look good!

Hire a company?! NO WAY... you have a blank canvas that you can paint a masterpiece on!

Where exactly do you live?

If you have the desire to get this lawn looking right, everyone here can help you get it done!

o

Bermuda is what I think you have. Bermuda will fill in very thick if it is fertilized regularly.
I would start with a fertilizer that has metsulferon in it, that will knock out most of your weeds and get your grass going good.
Do you have an irrigation system?
I would not hire a company, with enough research and free time you can do a better job than any company.

o

I live in the northern part of Mississippi

o

I'm gonna go with botanical and say you have some over grown bermuda.

Google the "bermuda bible" and follow that.

Bermuda thrives in hot temperatures, so the warm weather will be advantageous.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here