gregnga

Aerating Bermuda

gregnga
10 years ago

When is the best time to aerate Bermuda

Comments (11)

• rager_w
    10 years ago

Here in ATL our spring is at least 2 weeks behind. Normally I would do it any time after the 4th of July.
    As long as it's growing vigorously, it will repair quickly.

• texas_weed
    10 years ago

When you can see the grass growing.

• BermudaTamer
    10 years ago

Late spring early summer soil temps around 70 degrees or the seed won't germinate.

• texas_weed
    10 years ago

Late spring early summer soil temps around 70 degrees or the seed won't germinate.

Huh? I agree with the late spring or early summer is a good time to aerate. But what does aeration have to do with seeding and germination?

• BermudaTamer
    10 years ago

I always seed when aerating Bermuda if you're not seeding then you might as well verticut. Most will overseed at the time of aerating really I see no other reason to aerate if you don't plan to overseed. If you want to open the soil up use a dethatcher. I aerate every other year dethatch every year seed only in thinning areas. Aerating is an ideal time to seed but determining if you need to aerate or dethatch is based on the lack of growth you have. If you have existing bermuda over two years old I would dethatch now and rake then aerate in a few weeks and based upon the thickness of your lawn overseed at that time.

• rager_w
    10 years ago

That's fine if you have common Bermuda, but over seeding hybrid is a crime!

• texas_weed
    10 years ago

I always seed when aerating Bermuda if you're not seeding then you might as well verticut

Why would you over seed hybrid Bermuda?

• dchall_san_antonio
    10 years ago

Why would you repeatedly seed ANY bermuda. It is bermuda! All you need is one sprig and before you know it you have a lawn full of it.

• dchall_san_antonio
    10 years ago

Why do you want to aerate? If your soil is hard when it is moist, then you have issues that aerating (alone) will not necessarily solve. Seems like a lot of time, energy, and money to spend to soften hard soil.

• BermudaTamer
    10 years ago

You guys are killing me even the worst dog track golf courses I used to play on aerated their fairways. The gcsaa even says its necessary there's even a small plug puller for the greens to be aerated. Think of Bermuda grass a grape vine it will run and run but it begins at the grape tree. Each time you pull a plug while areating and fill with seed you have a new bermuda tree. The key is do you need a new tree? If it is thick and lush then don't aerate but if there are thinning areas or you have shale or clay soils underneath then my experience is areating helps. Either way you would only help you lawn by areating.

• texas_weed
    10 years ago

A golf green is not a lawn. Golf greens are small with a lot of foot traffic with heavy machinery on it every day compacting the soil. Greens need aerated and de-thatched two or three times a year because they have very high traffic and heavily fertilized

Bermuda lawns rarely need aerated or de-thatched. How do I know you ask? Because I was a sod Farmer for over 35 years and now a golf course super in AZ with a USGA turf certification.

Sorry to tel you but if you had Tifway-I (aka 419), you ruined it over seeding it, and now have common Bermuda grass. No Bermuda grass either hybrid sod or improved common should never need be over seeded.

On golf greens made of Bermuda, when a section or patch dies off from disease, it is plugged or sodded by the Mother crop growing somewhere on the course. Usually another golf green that is never used.