Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wierd Almost Black looking spots in Bermuda Lawn

Posted by toprank Georgia (My Page) on
Fri, May 29, 09 at 7:04

My next door neighbor has some strange almost look like someone spilled Oil in his lawn patches that have crept into my yard. Anyone know what this is? I dont have pics but if you poured 2 cups of motor oil in each spot that is what it reminds me of. Thanks, for any help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wierd Almost Black looking spots in Bermuda Lawn

Sounds exactly like what I had on my St. A. After a day or two, does it dry to a fuzzy-looking dark gray?

I assumed it was fungal, sprayed it with an Ortho fungicide (not sure what kind, but it came in a hose-end sprayer,) and it was gone in 3 or 4 days. I'm still not sure what it was.

o

Could be pythium blight which is also known as grease spot. Usually in the morning you would see what looks like fine spider webs in the grass with pythium.

o

It is Grease Spot aka Pythium Blight. Get control of it or it will wipe out your lawn. How are you watering?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here