Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
matthewm_gw

HELP! New lawn has a disease! :( pythium blight?

matthewm
12 years ago

Hi,

First off let me say thank you for all of your posts which got me through the initial stages of sowing a new lawn from scratch. I took off of work for 2 weeks and worked on this every day I have a lot of time and money into this project. It appears that I may have pythium blight spreading around and killing my new grass. I searched and could not find anyone who had pythium blight in their new grass.

I have done a lot of research and am confused about what to apply for a fix. I have included pictures of my lawn and would appreciate any help asap, as I know that this fungus spreads fast and kills.

(please be patient as these pics seem to load slow)

no work done - weeds Day One:

http://i52.tinypic.com/302chs5.jpg

http://i51.tinypic.com/2yjomlj.jpg

weeded planted tamped Day Three:

{{gwi:90853}}

germinated grass Day 6:

{{gwi:90854}}
{{gwi:90855}}

fungus day 10:

{{gwi:90856}}
{{gwi:90859}}
{{gwi:90861}}

I would assume I need a liquid solution for this problem that I could possibly spray from my hose? I can't walk on the new grass but need to treat this quickly before it gets worse.

Thanks!

Comments (14)

• botanicalbill
    12 years ago

I could be wrong, but wont you kill the new seedlings by spraying it?

• tiemco
    12 years ago

There are plenty of liquid fungicides you could use if you have pythium, just make sure they are indicated to treat it. I am pretty sure most are safe to use on seedlings, but again, read all labels.

• matthewm
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the replies guys, can anyone confirm if this is pythium? If so, should I buy subdue maxx right now or what? It's killing more and more every day.

• matthewm
    Original Author
    12 years ago

damn this place is dead, the mod of this site needs to cut down on the 10000000 sub forums (which I assume he/she does for seo) to ensure a better response rate and user quality.

• matthewm
    Original Author
    12 years ago

{{gwi:90864}}

Does this load? The image host I used + the script of this website causes it to load slow for some reason.

I am freaking out!! It's spreading around everywhere :(

• nearandwest
    12 years ago

Yes, that loaded. A lawn mower is spreading the fungal spores. I do not believe I am looking at pythium blight. From what I can make out in the picture, I would say it is dollar spot. I'm not sure where you are and what you have access to, but I would suggest spraying a fungicide with the active ingredient chlorothalonil at the curative rate early in the day when there is still dew on the grass. After applying, do not walk on the grass until it is completely dry. A repeat application 7 days after the first application will be necessary.

• nearandwest
    12 years ago

I need to revise my previous comments. I did not see the entire picture until after posting the previous message. When I scrolled to the right, I saw the larger patches with the smoke rings. Disregard the chlorothalonil recommendation. You need to apply Heritage G at the higher curative rate. Also, need to know where you are. Any chance you are near a location where you can submit a live sample for analysis?

• matthewm
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you very much! What exactly do you mean by curative rate? This is the first time I have grown grass and am new to this sorry. My grass was sowed a few weeks prior in my backyard and is ready to be mowed for the first time, should I mow the lawn first and then apply chlorothalonil?

Please check the included link below! :)) My lawn thanks you as well!

Here is a link that might be useful: Would this work as a solution? Or is there something cheaper?

• matthewm
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks! Ok I have noted the new fix, I am in Maryland on the eastern shore, Salisbury, and I'm not sure where I could take the soil for a sample, I am in a heavily wooded area with a lawn that has not had grass in 20 years, if that helps at all!

• nearandwest
    12 years ago

Ok, looks like you have a John Deere Landscapes (Lesco) branch on Northwood Dr. Go there and get Heritage G. The higher curative rate is 4 lbs./1000, so a 30 lb. bag of Heritage G will treat 7,500 sq.ft.

Also, very important. Send the same photo you posted to Lane Tredway, Turf Pathologist, N.C. State Univ at:

lane_tredway@ncsu.edu

See if he can give you a confirmation on the turf disease you have. He can probably confirm your disease ID from visual analysis. Let him know you are using Heritage G. If needed, he can advise you on how to submit a sample for analysis. Good luck.

• nearandwest
    12 years ago

Lol...You know, I really should read the entire post before I comment. So, I gather that those wheel marks are from a drop seeder and not from a lawn mower? Or are they from a rotary spreader? Damn, I'm running out of options.

• matthewm
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I think you were correct with your first diagnosis it really looks more like dollar spot. Especially with the way it appears to be cotton at first and then kills the grass in small circles all over the place and turns it a brown or dark color.

• Kasmus
    11 years ago

I have the exact same thing in N. Va. What did you use to kill it?