Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Clearing lawn of herbicide

Posted by rhondamc (My Page) on
Mon, May 30, 11 at 8:41

Good day,
My husband sprayed our lawn just yesterday with Killex to get rid of the many dandelion that seem to be taking it over. I wasn't happy with his decision in the first place to use this herbicide especially with 2 young children in the house and now even more so. After doing more research I am quite concerned about the harmful ingredients and my childrens exposure to them. Now finally my husband sees that just because it is on the self, that doesn't mean it is safe to use. Aside from keeping them out of the area, what can we do help "clear" our lawn of these chemicals? Is there anything that help reverse its harmful effects?
Thanks,
Rhonda

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Clearing lawn of herbicide

You might be able to spray soapy water and wash it down into the soil. Activated charcoal or generic kitty litter (zeolite clay, not the baking soda stuff) will help absorb it.

Is Killex a spray or a granular? Spot spraying weeds with herbicide is about the safest way to do the chemical spray. The worst way is to apply a granular product over the entire lawn.

Dandelions can be easily removed from a standing up position with the Weed Hound tool. I have not looked for one recently but I got mine at Home Depot last year for $25. You hold the tool in your hand, aim it at the plant, step on it, twist, and remove it. After you get the hang of it, you can remove them as fast as you can step on them.

o

Its mostly 2,4-d as an active ingredient.

Think of your lawn as layers. you have soil, roots/soil and grass. The killex is in the roots/soil level. if you put down activated charcoal or carbon or kitty litter, this will be on/in the grass layer. It wont absorb the killex unless you till your yard and mix it in. Save the money and let time pass. In about a month or less the killex will be out of the soil.
2,4-d is proven and is safe for residential use. I would not worry.

o

You are basically trying to close the door after the horse has left the barn. Once you spray herbicide on the lawn and let it dry, there really isn't much you can do to remove it. The active ingredients have already entered the leaves and migrating throughout the plants. The herbicide that reached the soil is already starting to break down. It dissolves in water, but short of a flood, you aren't going to be able to flush enough water through the area to do much good. Even if you could, you would just be washing the chemicals onto someone else's property.

The only thing that really is going to remove it is time. The active ingredients decompose in the soil on their own. You can speed the process by making sure it stays relatively moist.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here