Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What type of Grass or Weed is this?

Posted by ayo991 none (My Page) on
Fri, May 18, 12 at 8:56

I have some kind of grass or weed that is taking over my front lawn. I have tried several grass killers as well as nutsedge on it with no results. I have attached a link of my pictures. Any help would be great on what it is and how to kill it.

http://www.compaqhardware.com/grass/g1/grass.asp

Thanks,

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What type of Grass or Weed is this?

It looks a lot like wild type tall fescue, not to be confused with turf type. Some close ups of the blades would help. Where are you located and what kind of grass do you have? Tall fescue can be killed with Round Up, but that will kill everything else around it unless you use the 2 glove method. If you have a warm season grass Certainty herbicide will selectively kill it (it also works in cool season grasses but it is much more prone to harming your good grass).

o

Looks like my lawn in Dayton about 20 years before I started learning about lawns.

o

Spray your lawn with Tenacity and it will kill only the unwanted grasses. See my post about bent grass for more info.

o

"Spray your lawn with Tenacity and it will kill only the unwanted grasses. See my post about bent grass for more info."

This is bad information for a few reasons. Tenacity will cause harm to most warm season grasses except St. Augustine and Centipede. The OP has yet to tell us what kind of lawn he has, and it's not obvious from the pics. Tenacity can kill some grassy weeds, but on others it has marginal effect. Without an ID you will be wasting time and money. If the weed he posted is tall fescue, then it won't be very effective unless you use a higher dose than recommended, which isn't recommended.

o

That looks like that pasture/k31 fescue I had in my lawn. If it is that, I dug up the patches and reseeded. My neighbors say it was from 40 years ago when they first built the houses. You can still see some in my neighborhood.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here