Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Weed & Feed: Scotts brand or Store Brand?

Posted by jlm41 Central Indiana (My Page) on
Tue, May 26, 09 at 9:08

I am about to put weed and feed on my lawn in next 2 days.

for 40LB bag, Scotts weed and feed is $50, And 50LB bag of store brand(Menards) weed& feed is $26.

Is it worth going with Scotts? Numbers on both the products are same '39-0-0'

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Weed & Feed: Scotts brand or Store Brand?

I'd suggest that you use neither. A better approach is to do two separate applications. First fertilize. Then, about two weeks later, when the weeds are growing like crazy, use a weed killer. Unless your lawn is mostly weeds, I would get a broadleaf weed killer and spot spray only where the weeds are. But don't spray if daily highs will be above 90 (maybe 80, check the label).

The reason for doing it in two steps is that the weed killers are absorbed through the leaves and work best when the weeds are growing vigorously.

As for the brand, I don't think it matters. You're looking to apply a specific amount of N,P,K and those are the numbers on the bag. It doesn't make a lot of difference who made it, it's what's inside.

o
RE: Weed & Feed: Scotts brand or Store Brand?

I've used Scott's, Lowe's Sta-Green and HD's Vigoro. I've found that in my climate, Scott's (granular) acts more quickly, but Sta-Green (which is pelletized) feeds more evenly and lasts longer. The problem is that the only Sta-Green products (made by Spectracide) I can get are Phosphorus-free which has a noticeably poorer result in spring feeding. As a result, I tend to use equal parts Scott's (with Phos) and Sta-Green (without Phos). Best of both worlds, I suppose. I agree with BPGREEN that nothing beats spot treatment with a liquid broadleaf weed killer. It's also nice to know that you're not spreading weed killer where it isn't needed. If you have a lot of weeds, definitely get a backpack sprayer and use a mix from concentrate. It's been a great investment for me on my 3 acre parcel...you can get 3 or 4 gallon backpacks for under $100. It saves time and your back.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here