Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fast Growing Light Green "Grass"

Posted by nyjeff NY (My Page) on
Mon, May 5, 14 at 9:08

Anyone know what type of grass this is and if I should try to remove it? I'm located in southern NY and had a large portion of my yard scraped and seeded last July. It looked fine all late summer and fall and now that it's spring, I have a LOT of this tall. very light green grass growing ONLY where the landscaper re seeded. It's no where else on my lawn and I don't know if it's something that should be killed and re seeded or if it'll look ok once I start mowing. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Someone on another forum chimed in that it may be nutsedge, but being that it's still chilly and only early May, I'm pretty sure that's not true (as nutsedge, from what I'm told, grows in 80+ temps in July/August).

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fast Growing Light Green "Grass"

Looks like annual Ryegrass, if so, it will die on its own in the next few weeks.

o

Did the landscaper use a cheap "Contractors Mix" or "Quick-Cover Mix" for the seeding? Many of those mixes include Annual Ryegrass deliberately. Now you know why that can be a bad idea.

o

Thanks for the info. The landscaper said he used premium grass seed, though didn't see the bag. He's done a lot of work around here and I've never had an issue like this.

He first laid down 30 yards of (what he said was) premium top soil, then used starter fertilizer, then seed and covered with straw. Is it possible that the straw was contaminated with these seeds? Is annual ryegrass the same as orchard grass?

I'm concerned because he just scraped and seeded a 1/4 acre to expand my lawn which is now just germinating. I'm hoping I dont have this same stuff all over that new area too.

o

Is it Annual ryegrass or perennial ryegrass? He said he uses a mixture with perennial. Is there a difference in how the grass looks between perennial and annual?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here