Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Weird tracks in dead lawn

Posted by Grayson403 none (My Page) on
Thu, May 15, 14 at 9:25

I live in Calgary, Canada and we had a terrible winter this year. After all the snow melted, we noticed these weird tracks in what we used to call a lawn. I can't seem to figure out what's causing them. I couldn't find any mole hills, but I did notice that our shed was full of mice droppings.

Anyways, I'm hoping that someone could possibly shed some light on what the problem may be and how I can go about fixing it.

Thank you in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Weird tracks in dead lawn

Here's another pic

o

Mice foraging on the roots?

BEWARE CLEANING THE SHED! Hanta virus is always a possibility.

http://www.cdc.gov/rodents/cleaning/

o

Thank you for replying. I was just out in the yard and noticed movement in the grass, which turned out to be a little mouse scurrying back towards my house. The little guy ducked under my deck! Anyways, I'm thinking you're right. There's a good chance there's a family of them and they've been feeding off the lawn and everything inside the shed.

First step, get rid of the mice;
Second step, start cleaning up their droppings;
Third step, figure out a way to fix my poor lawn.

o

They are not mice. They are Voles (which are much like mice). That is classic vole track stuff. They had tracks under the snow during Winter.

Voles often have colonies under bedding plants, and you may find damage to the roots of hosta, tulips, daylilies, etc.

If you have voles (I'm certain you do), you will find that they will resort to trails again in your lawn if it is mowed above 3" tall, even in Summer.

Trapping them is very difficult, as they multiply faster than you can trap them. I've had some luck using Castor Oil on the lawn (they hate it and move elsewhere), but it doesn't work well during rainier times of the year.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here