Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
turntablez

New SOD project questions and help

turntablez
9 years ago

Hello, This is my first post and have read around the forums and this seems like the perfect site to get help with my yard I plan to sod. :) So here we go...

I have a yard roughly 830 square feet. My soil had a lot of clay and rocks. So I took out about 3 inches of bad soul and plan to replace it with 40 % peat and 60 % topsoil mix. Level it all out and make it nice for SOD. I have already leveled and tilled the soil so it is nice looking and ready for delivery of the mixed topsoil. But it has rained a ton here for the last week. I plan on getting my sod delivered in 14 days. Do I need to re till the yard because it has rained so much? Also when I get the new mix soil do I really need to till it in with the existing soil or could I just put it on top and level it out? If I should mix it in so I would just till it in with my existing soil. I plan to have the soil prep done 14 days before the sod arrives. Should I add my starter fertilizer to the topsoil at this time? Or wait until the day before and rake it in.

Another question...since I will have my soil prepped 2 weeks early prior to the Sod delivery....do I need to rake the first few inches of soil the night before SOD delivery so the roots will take to the topsoil or do you think it would be unnecessary?

What is your take on using a yard roller after leveling the soil? I hear some people use it and some don't. Is this necessary as well? Or should I not worry about it?

Also some say a few days before to spray the soil with water before installing the SOD and some say to do it right before installation? I'm not sure if I should or not. Will it effect my starter fertilizer if I do it a couple days before?

I see some people also use a yard roller and go over the SOD after installation. Is that necessary? Do you recommend it?

One more question. What is your take on water crystals? I have read some people rake it in with their starter fertilizer and say it helps with watering? But I am not sure about that and it may be just a waste of money.

Sorry lots of questions and kind of confused on what to use. Thanks for all of your time and I appreciate the help!

Todd

Comment (1)