Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gsts529

Milorganite

gsts529
9 years ago

I used 144 pounds of Milorganite on my lawn last Tuesday . I can see some change , greener . I will update you as time goes by
Greg

Comments (7)

• CHFIII
    9 years ago

Take pics for your own benefit - it will not 'jump up' like it would from a dose of the high urea nitrogen chemical ferts but you will notice a much darker green color after another week and some rain due tot he iron.

I love the stuff. If you notice a little bit of an unpleasant odor, put some molasses (garden kind) in a sprayer and spray that - your lawn will smell nice for a day or so and the microbes will get rid of that nasty smell... the trace minerals and enhanced breakdown of clippings and soil improvement will make the milorganite work better and more quickly. Be sure to mulch clippings back into the lawn by keeping your blades sharp (3 minutes with a dremel, no need to remove the blade or anything). Why add all that nice iron and nitrogen then discard the clippings that are holding it? Chop them up and let them break down as a cheap fertilizer that helps maintain moisture and improve the soil.

Note - I'm an organic pragmatist not an organic activist, IE, I use what works best and milorganite plus molasses is a powerful combination - within about two weeks it makes a dramatic difference in the yard assuming a little rain.

• gsts529
    Original Author
    9 years ago

We have had a lot of rain in the past week since I used the Milorganite . Will al the rain dilute the effect of the milorganite
    Greg

• tnjdm
    9 years ago

I use it religiously. I put down 25lbs per 1K sq. ft which in my case was 288lbs. The more you use it, the lesser the smell time will last. It normally takes 2 to 3 weeks for it to reach it's peak performance. The rain will not dilute the effect of it.

The best thing I like about it is that you can't really over do it. It's "magic" :)

• gsts529
    Original Author
    9 years ago

How often do you put that much down

• weigojmi
    9 years ago

Andy will probably stop by and comment why the last question was unneeded...

• CHFIII
    9 years ago

Milorganite dissolves more gradually than chemical ferts so the rain will just water it in. Of course if you have gushers and a steep grade it could wash away but no worries about it all dissolving and being washed away probably.

A couple days of sunshine and you should notice your lawn being a few shades darker than it was.

• dchall_san_antonio
    9 years ago

Milorganite does not dissolve. It is decomposed by soil microbes. Therefore it cannot wash through the soil.