Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mrakers85

Defeated by my lawn

mrakers85
9 years ago

I thought I had everything going well with my lawn, and now it appears it has defeated me. To give you the background, here is some helpful information on what I did to treat this.

1.) I live in Missouri - St. Louis area.

2.) I overseeded in September 2013 with Rebels Tall Fescue Southern Blend. Bought the house in September 2011. My neighbor told me he thinks the previous owner had laid sod.

3.) I did not fertilize prior to winter (is this my issue?) but on March 15, I used Scott's Turfbuilder with Halts. After a pretty cold winter, we had only had about 3-4 days total above 60� by that point and the day after I put down the Scotts, it snowed about 1/2 inch. Within 2 weeks, the grass was the greenest on the block and was looking solid.

Earlier this week I put down Scott's Weed n Feed. But this might have been too late to really see anything beneficial for the new grass.

4.) I have kept it watered this spring, more than any of my neighbors.

6.) I typically mow once a week at 3 inch height.

7.) Have not had a soil test, although this seems as though I need to.

8.) The only areas I'm seeing dead grass is the brand new grass that looked so healthy, and is now dying.

I'm looking for any help as I go into the fall. I know reseeding now is wrong, but I don't want to face this every spring as I get my hopes up, and even had a neighbor tell me that they could finally see how well my lawn was taking off, only to have it covered in dead grass three weeks later.

Here is a gallery of pictures with time stamps to let you see the issues I've faced.

http://imgur.com/a/JtPTc

Comments (2)