Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Killing centipede in my new bermuda sod

Posted by crumpsc 8 (My Page) on
Thu, May 3, 12 at 10:31

Hi, I had Bermuda Tifway 419 installed right around a month ago. It looks like I have a few invasions brewing around the edges of a few of the sod squares. I had several patches of centipede that were rather healthy before having the bermuda installed...and I guess the installer didn't get deep enough with the sod cutter before laying down the new squares.

Is there any treatment I can apply that will suppress the centipede from growing, but still allow my bermuda to flourish? Just looking for some type of post-emergent solution. I'm reluctant to try to go dig out the centipede roots - for fear of damaging existing bermuda squares...as they are just starting to green up beautifully.

Thanks in advance - crumpsc.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Killing centipede in my new bermuda sod

You want to keep the herbicides off your new sod for now.

The good news is bermuda care and centipede care is different. The main difference being fertilizer requirements. Centipede doesn't like a lot of fertilizer. Bermuda does. Fertilize monthly with a slow release fertilizer at a rate of 1 lb. nitrogen per 1000 sq. ft.

They both like low mowing, but tifway likes it lower. Mow as low as possible.

Get a soil test. Centipede thrives in acidic, infertile soils. Make it a well balanced soil with a neutral ph and bermuda will gain another advantage.

o

Thanks GH. I've submitted a sample to the company who provided the sod - just waiting on results. They have a comprehensive fertilizing schedule they can provide once results are in - I'm just right at a month since the sod was laid. Anxious to get a round of additive in. I appreciate the reply.

o

You don't need a soil test to know what fertlizer Bermuda needs. It needs nitrogen and a lot of it. Centipede hates nitrogen and fertile soil.

Only problem your soil test mike show up is a very low PH which is likely since you had Centipede and it could be a huge problem. Centipede can only thrive in PH of 5.9 and lower. 5.9 and below Bermuda and all other grasses will struggle and die off eventually.

To eliminate the Centipede assuming the soil PH is above 6.0 is just read the Bible and follow it. Centipede cannot compete with Bermuda. You cannot use any herbicide right now. Late in the summer if the Centipede hangs around long enough just use any poet emergence herbicide that contain one or a combination of diclofop, metribuzin and 2,4-D + triclpyr.

If your soil test comes back with a PH of 5.0 to 5.5 I have real bad news for your Bermuda grass and great news for the Centipede grass. One will die, and the other will flourish.

o

Thanks TW. Well maybe this isn't centipede that's sprouting through. Looks too emerald green - perhaps it's just the start of a crabgrass invasion? I'll try to attach a picture, although I haven't really figured out how to do that yet.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Creeper

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here