Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
njitgrad

milorganite math

njitgrad
9 years ago

I picked up four 36 lb. bags of milorganite, enough to cover 10000 sq ft. The instructions told me to set my Scott SpeedyGreen to 11.5. Using this setting, I was only able to cover half my lawn (~5000 sq feet) and only with one pass, not with the criss-cross secondary pass that the instructions recommend.

Is my 12 year old spreader out of tune? I've never had an issue with application rates in the past. Or did I just not do the math right?

Going out to buy another 4 bags today just to make sure my back yard isn't any less green than my front yard.

Comments (6)

• User
    9 years ago

Both. I believe the 36 lb bags are 5% nitrogen. To apply the equivalent of 1# of N/m,the rate of product use is 20 lbs/m. 4 bags would only cover 7200 sq ft. and It is not unusual for our cheap Scotts spreaders to become inaccurate with age. Another thought, were you only overlapping the spray fan by a third?

• sherm1082
    9 years ago

You said you didn't do 2 passes but 2 passes feeds 1250 sq.ft not 2500. Check the bag.

Also Yardtractor you are assuming that he is fertilizing at a rate of 1 lb N per sq.ft. The bag rate actually is less than that. I believe it's around .6 lbs of N per sq. ft.

• User
    9 years ago

You are correct Sherm1082. The recommended rate for the 36lb bag IS NOT 1#. It works out to .72 lbs of N/m. I guess the folks at Milorganite are fixated on 2500sq ft no matter the application rate of N. LoL. I also notice that they have once AGAIN changed the % of WSN. It is no longer 2%, it is now 1.5%.
    You taught an old dog a new trick.
    OP. Sherm is correct. If you wished to cover 2500 sq ft in two passes, you should have used a setting that was 1/2 the 11.5 recommended setting-if your spreader is still in calibration.

• gsts529
    9 years ago

I used 4 bags 36 pounds each of milorganite on approx. 9 to 10,000 sq feet of lawn 3 weeks ago . My lawn has improved but not a dark green as I would like .
    I put down 2 1/2 bags more this morning I hope that will not hurt anything . From what I have read it will not does anyone have any words of wisdom for me
    Greg

• andy10917
    9 years ago

You're fine on the Milorganite apps. I apply Milorganite at double bag-rate every week at some times of the year (like now).

If you find that the lawn isn't meeting your expectations for color and items like Milorganite don't help enough, look to testing the soil - great grass doesn't happen in bad soil. Get a good soil test, and not a Home Depot special or low-end test. Get someone that knows how to read the results tell you what is lacking.

• User
    9 years ago

Greg,
    You should start a new thread so your question doesn't get buried and missed.
    Your question is right down the alley for a couple of people who visit this site.

Edit: never mind :)

This post was edited by yardtractor1 on Sun, May 25, 14 at 10:43

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm