Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dugo88

Wild Violets Infestation!

dugo88
9 years ago

After about a full year or two of not maintaining my lawn, I have recently decided it's time to pick it back up.

My main problem is the massive amounts of wild violet patches that surround my lawn, which I would love to completely eradicate.

These violets have such deep roots now that when i dug up a patch. I found roots extending probably over six inches into the ground!

I want to get rid of these violets and plant new grass on top of them, and I am worried that the violets will grow back before the grass does!

My Question: How should I go about removing these dense patches of violets? Should i just weed as much as i can and immediately plant new grass?

Thanks in Advance!!
David

Comments (3)

• krnuttle
    9 years ago

My solution is to violets let them bloom in the early spring before the grass gets growing and then mow the yard as if they don't exist. Once the grass starts growing in the spring, and after the first mowing, the violet plants disappear.

Sweet Violets
    Sweeter than the roses
    Covered all over from head to toe
    Covered all over with sweet violets

• forsheems
    9 years ago

I went through the same problem last year. Digging them up doesn't work because all it takes is missing one little peice of the root and they come back. Triclopyr does ok but you have to be persistant and spot spray the violets every 2 weeks. Once you get them under control use a small paint brush and apply glyphosate to each leaf. Yes, it's time consuming but works.

Like I said, I fought them all summer last year before spraying the enitre lawn with glyphosate and doing a complete renovation in September. So far there are none in the lawn although I have seen them in the wooded area behind my back yard and those just get sprayed to keep them from spreading. Good luck because you do have a long battle ahead of you.

Once you get rid of them keeping the lawn thick and healthy is the best prevention. Proper mowing, watering, and fertilizing is the key.

• dchall_san_antonio
    9 years ago

I agree with Forshee. You're in for many weeks of tough love. Violets and creeping Charlie are very hard to get rid of.