Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jillyyang

Has anyone used EarthTurf?

jillyyang
9 years ago

I live in southern california and want a lawn that is more low maintenance and needs less water than a traditional grass lawn. I was thinking of using Earth Turf seed since it has a small amount of microclover in it. Anyone used it with good or bad results?

My other option is seeding St Augustine...

Link to Earth Turf: http://www.earthturf.com/collections/sidebar/products/earth-turf

Comments (3)

• dchall_san_antonio
    9 years ago

Their website has a very scammy feel to it. There is no grass that will work equally well in Las Vegas as it will in Vermont. Or Big Bear Lake, Mecca, and San Juan Capistrano. Why would they put that graphic on the site?

Where do you live?

There is no seed for St Augustine. If someone tries to sell you some, run away. You can buy pieces of St Aug for about a dollar. A few of those can spread considerably in a year if you do it right. Again, it depends where you live in SoCal. I have 2,000 more square feet of St Aug now than I had 2 years ago. Previous owners didn't know how to cater to it and a lot died. It is still spreading, so I'm looking for another 1,000 square feet this year.

• jillyyang
    Original Author
    9 years ago

You're right... a little scammy. I'm in Southern California (Tustin to be exact).

Laying sod down over the entire lawn would be too expensive so we were thinking about laying seed and then plugging with some augustine and letting it spread its roots...

• dchall_san_antonio
    9 years ago

Tustin. Perfect. You would realize then, that the environment just 10 miles south on the 55 are so much different from 10 miles north into the canyon. So now it seems that Tustin has spread out along the 55. Are you within 5 miles of the beach? Or are you 10 miles or more away. At 10 or more you are on the fringe of where it is really easy to grow fescue and Kentucky bluegrass in SoCal. If you were 5 miles closer to the beach I would suggest KBG as being really easy. Here is a picture of a KBG lawn in Huntington Beach.

{{gwi:86786}}

I know that guy, and he's no lawn expert, but his grass looks great. He waters it once a week if he remembers and fertilizes once a year. He does mow at the mower's highest setting every weekend. KBG is known for going dormant in the winter and summer, but that close to the beach, it does neither.