Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Using a soaker hose

Posted by duajones z9 TX (My Page) on
Sat, May 23, 09 at 11:11

In an effort to not lose water to evaporation using a sprinkler I want to begin using a soaker hose for watering my lawn. But I have no idea how long to let it run. I used pet food cans to measure when I used a sprinkler to determine how long to water. How do you determine that using a soaker? Search function not working for me or I would have just looked it up

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Using a soaker hose

It depends on everything (water pressure, how hard you turn the water on, hose quality).

Put a pet food can under the soaker and see how long it takes to fill up.

o

While I admire the thought of water conservation, using a soaker hose to water a lawn is like peeing on a house fire so to speak in a lot of cases. Soakers are great for really small areas like a narrow strip between the curb and sidewalk. But to water a lawn in most cases is not possible even leaving it on 24 x 7. By the time you covered the whole lawn the area where you started from would be a desert if your lawn is of any size.

o

Hey weed, how do they use drip irrigation in fields? That might be a better alternative. We're running across entire sections of land that have drip for cotton and corn. Sort of makes it expensive to build a pipeline through the middle.

o

Dave the way I seen it done around here, not many here though, is very similar to the way I do it in the garden. Mind you I do not do it commercially. They plant in traditional row plantings and run a hose type pipe down each row with a 1 GPH emitter placed at the base of the plant. Then they use the well water and pump with a special filter to remove any particles and a low pressure regulator. Other than the filter and regulators it looks pretty easy to setup. But mostly around here it is traditional gate or circle irrigation.

o

duajones,

I use soaker hose for the strip area between sidewalk and street. I barely turn it on and basically leave it there all night long. Works pretty good. I often do it every 2-3 weeks.

o

Another thing that factors in to how well it will work and over how large of an area is what kind of soil you have. I have a pretty heavy clay. So, it will often get full on top and flow on to adjacent areas and water a wider swath. Of course, I don't think I could use soaker hoses alone for primary use. I use it to hit dry spots in the sprinkler system and to deep water occasionally.

As always, all gardening is ultimately local.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here