Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Every spring this area of lawn goes kaput!

Posted by rchris57 z7 GA (My Page) on
Mon, May 12, 14 at 11:13

Hi,
I live in Georgia, Atlanta area. We have a small backyard, established lawn. I do not know the type of grass we have. We live on a golf course which slopes towards our house.
The area of lawn in question comes in very good at the beginning of spring, and after the first couple of cuts it just starts To die. My husband fertilized the recommended amount for his spreader. He never takes off more than 1/3 of the height when cutting.
We haven't done a soil test yet.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Every spring this area of lawn goes kaput!

I think it might be related to the shade. In early spring, the trees have not filled out yet. Then as the spring and summer progress, that spot gets more and more shade. Stepping on it, mowing it down, etc then makes it more susceptible to not recovering in that particular spot.

But that will depend on the grass type.

Do you have more close-up pictures of the grass ?

o

Bingo! As the summer continues and the shade gets worse, so does the Bermuda. I have a few areas like that too. Not even TifGrand survives.

o

Exactly what I was thinking.

In that shade you might be able to grow fescue or St Augustine. Otherwise you're looking at a different kind of ground cover than grass.

o

Looks like shade problem. Seeing that you live by the golf course, bermuda is often the grass they grow. I work for golf course turf maintenance and see that problem very often. St augustine is usually what they use under the trees for the houses but zoysia grass like Palisades, etc can be used in moderate shade condition. I've seen zoysia being grown there around the clubhouses,etc and it looks nice.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here