Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
md_mike

Is this a different type of bermuda?

Md_mike
10 years ago

I am trying to figure out what this grass type is in my yard. I seeded 2 years ago with a mix of Yukon and La Prima grass seed. That is the grass on the left side of the picture. The yard looked uniform in color and blade type. Last year I noticed some patches of a different type of grass. This grass is on the right side of the picture. This grass grows faster and has much longer blades. In the fall this grass went to seed before the rest of the yard, and appeared to "die off". This spring it came back strong and is now appearing in many new areas. It is actually nice looking, soft grass, but definitely different from the rest of the yard. Any one have any idea what I'm looking at? I will follow this post with more pictures that show more detail.

Comments (25)

• Md_mike
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This is from a distance. You can see the longer grass in the middle of the picture.

• Md_mike
    Original Author
    10 years ago

going to seed last fall. The browning area in the middle of the picture.

• Md_mike
    Original Author
    10 years ago

close up of the area going to seed and browning out. This area over the winter wasn't the same as the rest of the tan, dormant bermuda yard. It looked dead and gone!

• Md_mike
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The known bermuda is on the right, while the unknown is on the left. Little fuzzy, but the best picture I could get with my crappy camera.

• Md_mike
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This is the known bermuda

• Md_mike
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This is the unknown grass type.

• Md_mike
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The seed heads from last fall. Thanks in advance to any one (TW) who can enlighten me!

• grasshole
    10 years ago

False green kyllinga.

Here is a link that might be useful: Take your pick for control.

• texas_weed
    10 years ago

I agree what you have is Kyllinga and is a sedge and not something you want. It is really starting to become a problem because the Employment Prevention Agency took away the best tool to control it, MSMA.

I know this is going to hurt you to do this but take the Medicine now and nuke it with Round Up and replant or use plugs in those patches. Kill it now before it multiplies. Show no mercy, complete genocide, take no prisoners kill everyone especially the women and children.

Kyllinga is more aggressive and prolific than Bermuda. Like Bermuda it thrives on being cut short, and grows extremely fast. It will take over if you tolerate its presence. Exterminate it now.

• Md_mike
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow!! Ok, I'll go for genocide. I will formulate a plan of attack. Thanks, guys.

• iriasj2009
    10 years ago

"Show no mercy, complete genocide, take no prisoners kill everyone especially the women and children" Ok wow this made my night.

Question- i was just wondering, how low do you mow your bermuda?

• grasshole
    10 years ago

I would try one of the selective herbicides first. Sedgehammer is good. Certainty is good. Never tried the others.

Chance are you are going to have to make repeated herbicide applications regardless of using Round Up or one of the selective herbicides.

I'd rather try something that won't kill my bermuda every time I have to spray it. And I promise, you will have to spray this type of weed more than once. Even with Round Up

• Md_mike
    Original Author
    10 years ago

good points grasshole. I am going to try sedgehammer in one area and ortho max nutsedge in another for a few weeks and see if I can avoid killing my bermuda. If it works that will be great, if not then everything dies by roundup per TW! The patches of this stuff are well defined so I will be able to tell fairly quickly if the herbicides are working. Thanks again for the feedback, guys. I'll report back with results.

BTW I mow my bermuda with a honda rotary on the 2nd lowest setting, but the bermuda hasn't really started to grow fast. Too cold so far this year.

• grasshole
    10 years ago

Sedgehammer is slow, but effective. Give it time before passing judgement.

• Md_mike
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks grasshole. What should I look for or expect? This is new to me. I live in Maryland so this stuff had to come from the seed I used, don't think it is common in this area. Appreciate your knowledge and input. Also like your screen name!

• Md_mike
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks grasshole. What should I look for or expect? This is new to me. I live in Maryland so this stuff had to come from the seed I used, don't think it is common in this area. Appreciate your knowledge and input. Also like your screen name!

• texas_weed
    10 years ago

Mow as low as you can afford without scalping. Remember th elower you go, the more frequently you must mow.

• grasshole
    10 years ago

For almost a week expect very little by the looks of the plant, but you will notice it is no longer growing.

Over the next week or so it will start gradually yellowing and wilting. Then eventually it will be totally dead and the Bermuda should take care if the rest.

Just don't be surprised if you see more pop up before the end of the summer. Spray it again. Resist the urge to pull even one plant. That will only hide the problem instead of kill it.

This could take a season or 2 or 3, but you'll only have to think about spraying them once or twice a season. The rest of the time you can enjoy that beautiful property! :)

Sedges are bad news, but luckily your problem is localized. I bet you'll knock it out in no time.

• botanicalbill
    10 years ago

I use sedgehammer, it will make the sedge stop growing and then in about 1-3 weeks it will start to yellow. What is nice about sedge hammer is it passes through the rhizome and can kill a daisy chain of sedge by only spraying one or two plants.

• rager_w
    10 years ago

I thought the ortho max for nutsedge was labeled "do not use on Bermuda grass?"

• texas_tifway
    10 years ago

The ortho nutsedge killer label says it works on bermuda.

• Md_mike
    Original Author
    10 years ago

thanks to all for the input. I was out of town over the weekend, but my orders of sedgehammer and ortho nutsedge killer showed up today. I cut my yard this morning (expecting rain tonight) and will spray the sedgehammer product on Wednesday afternoon. Will also try the ortho product on a few patches to compare results. I have more of this weed than I thought after looking closely while cutting, so a tank sprayer will work better than the ortho squirt bottle. I will follow up next week with results.

Special thanks to grasshole and TW.

• Md_mike
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Just a quick follow up two days after spraying selected areas of the yard. The sedgehammer treated areas show no change yet, as grasshole and botanicalbill predicted. We will observe those areas in a week or so to look for progress. The areas sprayed with the Ortho nutsedge product are already brown, wilted and appear to be dying! Fast acting stuff.

I will update in a week or so.

• grasshole
    10 years ago

I hate to ask this question AFTER you've sprayed, but did you use a non ionic surfactant with the Sedgehammer? Or did you get the one that already has the surfactant mixed in?

If not, I sincerely apologize for not bringing that up. That is a very important part of Sedgehammer. Again, I really am sorry I didn't bring that up.

• Md_mike
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I did my homework before ordering and got the small packet with the surfectant built in. All is good!