Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newtxan

Need Advice: Purslane vs. Buffalo

newtxan
10 years ago

Hi all, I'm currently growing a front-yard of Buffalo grass (actually a Buffalo/Blue Grama/Curly mesquite blend) from seed, which I'm sharing here: Buffalo lawn seeding

I spread the seed a month ago and it's doing well, except for some big sections that are overrun with Purslane. It's a solid mat in some spots and is starting to stand up pretty tall. There's still grass growing among it, and it's probably helped shade the seedlings a bit, but I don't think there's any chance the grass is going to win in the long run. I was prepared to spend a lot of time pulling weeds this summer, but there's far more of this stuff than I can pull.

I'm very conservative with herbicides and have only ever used Roundup up to this point, but I'm thinking it would be reasonable to try something else if it will get the lawn established.

So, my question -- What would be the most effective herbicide for the Purslane that would be least likely to damage the young grass?

I'm seeing ag extension sites recommending Dicamba, MCPP, MSMA, and 2,4-D as safe to use with the Buffalo, but I'm wondering how the grass seedlings would handle them. Does anyone have a recommendation?

Comments (8)

• John_7700
    10 years ago

I sprayed some 2-4d on some weeds in one year old buffalo last year and it seemed to kill the grass.. I was just about to post what to do with my weeds. We have kochia. It's terrible.

• texas_weed
    10 years ago

Well with seeded Buffalo grass you have to expect a lot of weeds the first season. Young Buffalo grass is not very tolerant of post emergence herbicides. Once established there are quite a few Buffalo will tolerate, but that does not mean it will not be stunned.

The thing with Buffalo grass is it has to have full sun and will not tolerate any shade, but what is really peculiar about it is needs to be in very low fertile soil without much rainfall as it cannot compete with anything. If you get decent moisture and just moderately fertile soil anything like Bermuda. Zoysia. Saint Augustine, or any type of weedy grass will invade and take over.

• dchall_san_antonio
    10 years ago

I'd ask the people where I got the seed what products were okay.

• newtxan
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'll check with Native American Seed and see what they say.

I'm continuing with my hand pulling -- a little bit every night as I have time. I can do a couple of square feet of the purslane pretty quickly. My plan is to knock out patches where the grass is doing the best so it can get established in places. Then, as the purslane seems to thin itself out to a few dominant plants I'll eventually be able to pull it all and give the buffalo empty spaces to run into.

I'm down to once a week watering, but the surprisingly decent rain we've been having this spring isn't doing me any favors in terms of weed and bermuda competition.

• jschles84
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I composted, seeded, and watered for 14 days. That is where I am now, day 14. I did round up the whole yard 4 or 5 times before seeding. But then I hoed out some st Agustine and other weeds. I probably disturbed the purslane seeds in doing so. I almost think I should have just left the dead and composted on top and then seeded. Hopefully the pictures come through. Where the water is abundant, I have nice grass up. Where there was not as much water, it is lagging. the real problem is a couple of areas spreading like wild fire with purslane. If you could tell me anything about controlling it, what would it be?

• dchall_san_antonio
    6 years ago

Almost any herbicide but RoundUp would work. Start with Weed-b-Gon. If after 2 weeks you are not happy with that, go to Weed-b-Gon Chickweed, Clover, and Oxalis Killer. If the purslane comes back as individual plants it is best to just pull it out as soon as you see it.

Where do you live?

What grass did you plant and when?

What was your exact process and timeline for soil prep? Something went wrong. I'd like to learn from your mistake.

• jschles84
    6 years ago

I'm in austin. Planted thunder turf. I Killed the entire lawn with round up 5 times. Then hoed out the dead. Compsted entite yard and seeded and watered 4 times a day. If I could do it over, I'd stake ink free cardboard over the entire yard. This eliminates any weed seeds to come back due to lack of light. I would then wet the cardboard, compost over the cardboard, and then seed and water. The seeds can grow down through the cardboard when kept saturated. It will eventually decompose. After the grass is tall enough to shade out any old seed seed.

• dchall_san_antonio
    6 years ago

I'm still missing the timeline. Did you spray RU 5x in one day (I doubt it). What was the timing for your spray apps? What I usually tell people is to water lightly every day, 3x per day, for a full week. That should sprout any weed seeds. Then spray with RU, but continue watering for a second week. At the end of the second week, spray the RU again. Then wait for everything to die, rake it up, and drop the seed.

Would you mind opening up a new topic for Thunder Turf in Austin and keep us up to date as to what it is and how it's working for you? I don't think many of us are familiar with it, but it should be a reasonable alternative in both southern and transition zone lawns. It might even work in the north. Where did you get the Thunder Turf seed? I know Douglass King Seed has it in San Antonio.