Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hole in lawn

Posted by ligardener (My Page) on
Fri, May 27, 11 at 11:32

I have a round impression in my lawn, about 8 inches across, that keeps sinking. I fill it with dirt, reseed it, and then it sinks again. Today I pushed a thin rod through it and met little resistance for 18 inches after which I then hit a hard bottom. This happens anywhere inside the 8-inch circle. Outside the circle the rod can't pierce the ground. It's like there's an 8-inch tube of loose soil that goes down 18 inches and then stops. This is the only spot in a large lawn where this occurs. Any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hole in lawn

Someone dug up a tree or shrub and filled the hole with compost or mulch. While it seemed like a good idea at the time, when compost or mulch decomposes, it has no volume left. In order to fill that hole you will need a mineral based soil. Sand and clay are minerals. Your dirt is probably minerals. Eventually you will have it filled. I'd continue doing what you're doing until it stops. Or you could dig out the 18 inches and refill all at once. If you do that be sure to mound the top of it because even minerals will continue to settle for three years.

o

Thanks for the input, dchall. Problem is I'm the only one living here for the past 40 years, and the landscape has not been altered in any way. I know that the best solution to the problem would be to just dig up the area and see what's going on underneath, but that would require me to dig a bigger hole than I already have, and that's not an attractive idea. What I may do is to just scoop it out with a trowel as far as it will take me and see what comes up.

o

Maybe use a post hole digger.

o

Is it possible there is a spring under there? How about a leaking pipe?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here