Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zoysialady

How to prevent squirrels from diging up my lawn?

ZoysiaLady
12 years ago

Please, help! Every morning some squirrels come to dig up my lawn. I have tryed some methods: 1. blood meal and fox urine - effective, but after rain or watering the lawn, stop being effective at all; 2. ultrasound adjustable units Yard Guard - not effective - squirrels can tolerate them well no matter what setting the units have.

Does anyone know how to prevent squirrels from digging up holes in my lawn? Thank you!

Comments (53)

• johnb352
    12 years ago

Pellet gun.

• krnuttle
    12 years ago

While my comment was a bit facetious, it reflects a truth about dealing with nature. Yes in some ways squirrels are destructive with the holes in the lawn and the enlarging the hole in a birdhouse.

However there is no way to keep them off the yard. If you kill them as someone suggested, in about three days, the territory will have been taken over by another squirrel who goes about his task a little quieter and less obvious. This is true with all of the wild life, chipmunks, birds, rabbits, the raptors, coyotes, etc.

About two years ago, our neighbor spent $250 for the set up and then $75 a head to have someone come in and trap the racoons. After a couple of weeks they appeared to be gone, but if you knew what to look for they just went under cover.

While it is difficult to see the little holes in the yard, you have to think of it as not having to spend the money to have the yard aerated. Unless you accept them the only thing that will be accomplished is the loss of a lot of money, stress, and ulcers.

You have to learn to enjoy the mother squirrel as she tries to put a roof back on the "birdhouse", after she broke the roof while trying to throw another squirrel out of the house that she had used for years. They are quite interesting little animals.

• texas_tifway
    12 years ago

Im sure there are many ways to get rid of these furry marauders. You could take a more direct approach and bait a spot in your yard with feed and wait for them to eat it then pop out of the bushes and blast them away with a pellet gun. Or you can go to your local home improvement store and get you a small live trap. Then after you got them traped take them a few miles away and release them back into the wild. I think both are pretty effective at decresing the squirrel population around your house but you probably will never completly eradicate your problem.

• dchall_san_antonio
    12 years ago

Knuttle has another point built into what he did not say. You should always plant species which are adapted to your location. Your location includes every aspect of the environment, including squirrels. You can minimize the impact of the squirrels in your yard by keeping cats, but I'm not thrilled with that idea. One Jack Russell terrier will take care of every squirrel, much better than even a small army of cats. Anyway that doesn't help you but it sort of explains how your choice of sod can be a loooong term source of frustration by trying to make it fit into your location.

Specifically for squirrels there are the natural predators (cats and dogs), live traps, and pellet guns. You probably want some sort of chemical solution. I'm not aware of one. I live in a very squirrely neighborhood. From the satellite view, you cannot tell there are any homes in here because everyone has 10 or more live oak trees. I have three cats and a dog and that has seemed to work, but I also have St Augustine grass that will recover nearly immediately from squirrels digging up acorns.

• ZoysiaLady
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I have just read about fox urine repellent that is supposed to scare squirrels and turn them away. Does anybody know if it really work?

• homechicken
    12 years ago

Fox urine did not work for me.

• botanicalbill
    12 years ago

The best cure for squirrels is to remove them, or remove the reason they are there. They are in your yard for two reasons, they live close by and there is a food source.
    Removing the food source would include removing all oak trees with a half mile or so from your house. Removing their home will only cause them to move, but not far.

Get a humane trap, trap them and drive them to an area of wilderness at least 5 miles away. Keep the trap set up till you do not catch one for a week. Drop off the critters at the same spot so they can reunite.

These repellents are gimmicks that rarely work and just cost you money and false hope.

• Big_Papi
    12 years ago

You clearly need this man's services.

{{gwi:92104}}

• nearandwest
    12 years ago

My HERO!!!!!!!!!!

• Vicki
    12 years ago

I ran across this method by accident but it provided a profound and effective removal of all squirrels and rabbits as well within my yard and all of my neighbor's yards for an entire season. I set a rabbit trap early last summer. It didn't catch any rabbits and I soon forgot about it because it became lost in the vegetation that grew. We went on vacation midsummer for 2 weeks. Upon return we noticed a putrid smell in the backyard. Using my nose sniffing like a dog, I led myself to a spot where I gingerly pulled away the vegetation to find a squirrel in the trap I'd forgotten I'd set, flat as a pancake, dried to the wires and smelling to high heaven. Every rabbit and squirrel from miles around must have run for the hills for fear of their lives not knowing what lurked for them amongst the vegetation of our flowerbeds.

• doggonegardener
    12 years ago

Animal control officer here...you can trap squirrels all day long until you are blue in the face but unless you remove the habitat that they appreciate, the void will be filled by new squirrels very quickly. It's like osmosis. It's really a waste of your time. They are rodents and reproduce very quickly. Thus, their population is always going to be ready to fill the void you create with your trap and comfy habitat. It's sad, but true. This is an issue we deal with a lot. I suggest you get a glass of iced tea and give them some nuts and enjoy the show. Embrace the little devils. Trying to eradicate them will only cause you grief. Good luck with adjusting your outlook. Additionally, it's entirely likely that you are the only one that would notice the little holes in your lawn. Again, consider it aeration and enjoy your summer.

• Vicki
    12 years ago

I wasn't in the business of trapping squirrels, it just happened in the process of going after the rabbits. After getting scared away, honestly, we had no squirrels for 2 months, then a teenager moved in, winter came, now it's back to normal. I don't recommend trapping them and leaving it to rot just to scare the rest away. I feel terrible about what happened. If I'd realized it, I'd never have let that happen. But it sure was amazing at how effective rotting flesh sitting around had been.

• doggonegardener
    12 years ago

Sunnytop,

I hope you didn't think I was directing anything at you. There have been lots of comments here suggesting trapping and removal and I just wanted to let folks know, from the years of experience I have from working in the field, that trapping and removal is truly a futile endeavor. The homeowner may see some short term relief but it's a losing battle. Same would apply for rabbits.

I'm sure you did feel terrible having set the trap and forgotten.

Wild creatures are opportunists. They find a niche and fill it. It may be a garage opportunity at dry housing. It may be a birdfeeder opportunity at a free, easy meal. It may be a chimney opportunity at a place to raise their brood in warmth and security. They will take advantage. If one is removed, the next fellow in line steps up to take his place. I watch people day after day in my work try to eradicate the member of the wildlife kingdom that they disagree with. It might be chipmunks, voles, squirrels, badgers, foxes, raccoons, skunks, etc. Their efforts are almost unwaveringly futile. Just can't control Mother Nature. She's a powerful force.

• paulsiu
    12 years ago

Do not attempt to trap squirrels. One the squirrel is gone, another will take its place.

Unless you own a dog that lives out in the backyard, it's pretty tough to keep them out them out. Unless you spend all of your time watch your yard, you can't keep them out. Even repellent don't want too well. The squirrels in my area aren't really afraid of coyotes, they just jump on a tree whenever it passes by.

If all that you care about is that they don't up your sod, cover your sod with some chicken wire until they are grown. It wont' look nice, but it should work. They probably just want to bury a nut, if you prevent them from doing it, they will stop coming.

Paul

• Connie.111244
    10 years ago

I have read all the suggestions and/or ideas posted here. I didn't see anytrhing about spreading hot pepper around the yard. Has anyone ever heard of using this to deter the little pests from digging up the yard? We had our yard sodded several years ago and this is the first time we've had this problem. Every day there are more holes. I've seen squirrels digging in my neighbors yard so I feel fairly sure, that's our problem as well.

• kevin2e
    10 years ago

If you live in a suburban neighborhood like I do, the trapping works great. However, if you live near or next to the woods I would think there would be an endless supply and harder to control (then you need a dog). When we moved into our house it was overrun by squirrels. IâÂÂm pretty sure the people before us fed them, along with birds, etc. They had even been in the attic and made nests there but were removed at some point well before we moved in. I bought a "humane" trap and moved 16 out in one weekend! As botanicalbill said above, I moved them all out to the wilderness to the same area. They must have had a family reunion.

I still get more squirrels moving in from around the area, usually a few at a time about once a year, but it's much more manageable now. Once they start annoying me I get the trap out and start the shuttle to their new home. Also, I only do it on a weekend when I have the time to check the trap every 30 minutes or so. As much as I dislike them, I don't like to see them trapped for too long. Good luck!

This post was edited by kevin2e on Tue, May 14, 13 at 10:45

• chiefsfan
    10 years ago

.22 wink, wink.
    I deal with them too, i just live with them. When that owl showed their was a reduction in the squirrel population.

• texas_weed
    10 years ago

Got trees? If yes you likely have a tree rat problem. If you ever take notice when you see a squirrel, there are always trees nearby. Trees provide a squirrel protection, shelter, and the squirrel interstate highway.

They rarely venture very far away from a tree. They know they are on the menu of all predators and will not stray very far from a tree to provide an escape route.

• enigma7
    10 years ago

We had major squirrel problems until (as previously mentioned) 2 large trees were removed from our property (10 and 20ft from our house respectively). After that they moved next door. :)

• lou_spicewood_tx
    10 years ago

Cut down trees. I lived at this house for 7 years and never saw a single squirrel in my yard because trees around aren't big enough for them to hop tree to tree. At my parents, they were everywhere. Drove my dad crazy and he did try to get rid of them with .22, pellet and traps. Still didn't work. Lol. Dogs are good at keeping them off the ground as long as they are outside 24/7.

• spoozer
    10 years ago

We hang corn cobs from tree branches that are away from the areas of the lawn most sensitive to squirrel pits. A cob on either end of a 4 foot length of cord easily hangs itself on a tree limb when tossed up. Kind of like teenagers like to do with old sneakers on overhead lines.
    The dangling kernels are so much work to get to that the our squirrels have little energy left to go out to the other areas of the yard and leave the lawn alone. the corn is also a short term food less likely to get burred by the squirrels like acorns, seeds, and nuts.
    The awkward antics are funny enough that the lawn pits almost becomes a secondary issue.

• nykenny
    10 years ago

Sunnytop,I had the same exact thing happen to me. We actually didn't even have any food in the trap, and went on vacation!! Came home to a foul smell and a dead squirrel. Tried everything before that, and that mistake kept the rats with tails out for a good month!!! Told a buddy about this trick just joking around and he now leaves them dead in the trap. Not my cup of tea, but he also has gotten rid of them for the past 2 weeks with no lawn damage!!!

• Martin Fensterstock
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I have a huge oak tree on the side of my house, acorns everywhere, you would think thet habe enough food and not dig in the lawn, what seems to work and was so sinple is I feed them. I put a handful of peanuts outside my back door every morning, they are no longer digging for buried acorns in my yard. Every morning I come out and there are two that are sitting at attention on my steps. I put out the peanuts they eat and then they are gone until the next morning. Once and a while I will see a small hole, but it's so few and far between, it's a big task to find a hole. When I went away on business, my wife didn't feed them, when I got back there were probably a dozen holes in my lawn. I repaired the holes and we continue to feed them, and I haven't had a hole in 3 months. I go over my lawn almost every morning, and I mean every square inch looking for weeds or problems so if there is a hole I notice it immediately. A few dollars for a huge bag of peanuts at BJ's or Costco and I'm good for 2 months

• wmickie3
    7 years ago

Cats are the answer.we had a huge feral cat problem got involved in TNR program,thats trap neuter release.reduced the feral cat population by half once neutered they didnt stray as far n sqirrels are part of thier diet.of course you will have a least on neighbor complain that its cruel to the sqirrels but it works

• krnuttle
    7 years ago

I just re read this entire thread, and saw the suggestion about the corn. One of our pleasures was watching squirrels on a what we called a tilt a squirrel. It was a free revolving wheel. On the end of each spoke was a spike on which you could put a cob with corn.

First it was fun watching the squirrels learn how to get the corn. They would try to climb a spoke and the wheel would turn and they would slip off. After about a season it was fun watching the squirrels come running down the tree, and spin around on the wheel. It was obvious they were having as much fun doing it as we were watching their antics.

You have to be careful where you put it because the spikes could be lethal.

• mehappi
    6 years ago

I've loved reading your comments on preventing squirrels from digging up the lawn. Since our 2 cats have passed away within the last 2 years, I've noticed we have a ton of squirrels in our backyard now. Their highways are the wooden fences bordering the yard plus we have lots of mature trees. Now they are digging up the backyard lawn. Never was a problem when the cats were here. We are not ready to own another pet, but reading these suggestions have been great. I especially like the one where you just give in and feed them peanuts. I'm going to try that. Has anyone ever tried to put a life-size statue of an owl in the yard? Wondering if that would scare them off. I've seen life-sized coyote statues at golf courses (to discourage the geese from landing and pooping on the fairways -- yucky!).

• Jim W
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Fox urine granules does work but you have to use a lot of it and it's expensive as hell. $31 for a 5lb container and it doesn't go very far.

• craftymommy74
    5 years ago
    For those that feed the squirrels.. do the peanuts need to be shelled or unshelled?
  • HU-180355879
    4 years ago

I’ve read all the comments hoping to find a real solution. I had no idea there were so many people having the same problem. To the person who said leave them alone they were probably here before you. Considering my house is almost 80 years old I wouldn’t be so sure about that AND who cares If they were. I’m sick of them! They are rodents and unfortunately the couple that built this house for some reason (I guess he liked walnuts) decided to plant a walnut tree in the back of m property. It’s at least 80 years old so you can imagine the size. I’m sure it’s well known amongst the squirrels. It’s probably the best restaurant in town. On top of that all the trees in my neighborhood are tall, big and old BUT squirrels don’t have a mortgage and they don’t have to pay for the damage they do! I am an animal lover and I pretty much do watch them. I used to think they were cute not now! For the last several years the divots are so bad that my tween son and his friends can’t even play in the front yard or

the back. i just went to the back yard and almost had a coronary. I have almost 2 acres of new turf that is nothing but garbage. It’s expensive. I know it’s ridiculous but I cannot help it I’ve started going outside to. Have them away to no avail. There are so many trees, squirrels, owls, rabbits etc. I’m disappointed! i thought for sure there would have to be something to eradicate them other than death. There is something for everything and now I’m hearing there is not. I just can’t believe it. I’m sorry I wrote too much but I’m venting and really pissed. You could sprain an ankle mine is so bad. It looks great from the street and feels like ghetto trash when you walk on it. Someone should invent something than go on shark tank! Thank you guys. Remember the movie “The Birds?” that’s what it feels like with these annoying rodents!!

• deltatango
    4 years ago

to respond to "craftymommy74", I feed the squirrels shelled peanuts, UNSALTED! I have at times about a dozen squirrels out around the bird feeders, especially during the winter. I put out dry corn and the shelled peanuts as a treat, and to get them a bit away from the bird feeders. I also took a small window screen, and secured it horizontally on a wood 4x4 fence post and put the peanuts there..... it gives the squirrels a place to "eat on their own"...

• dchall_san_antonio
    4 years ago

HU-180355879

There is a guy named Shawn Woods who has a YouTube channel and website devoted to catching rodents. The website is mousetrapmonday.com. The YouTube channel is Shawn Woods. He has tons of vids about mouse traps which could be scaled up to squirrel sized traps. Some traps will only catch one at a time and some will autoreset to catch unlimited varmints.

• HU-613598512
    4 years ago

yes my 80 year old mom just had a lawn installed in her backyard and those squirrels are flipping digging everywhere somebody please help us tell me what to do I found some of my actual things online and it parently the one that works the most is the crown imperial bulbs does anybody know anything about that

• HU-540313344
    3 years ago

Fire crackers work at our house. Squirrels don’t come back

• dchall8 .
    3 years ago

Brilliant! 4th of July can't come fast enough.

• dchall8 .
    3 years ago

I'm still thinking about this. What do you think? Is 1 Cherry Bomb enough? How many ladyfingers?

• JoAnn Alvarez
    3 years ago

@nykenny @Vicki How far away does the trap with the dead squirrel in it need to be to repel other squirrels? I have several flower beds that I want squirrels to keep out of, but I don't want the dead squirrel to be too close to our front door or the street.

• morpheuspa (6B/7A, E. PA)
    3 years ago

As it turned out, I've had very little issue with rabbit damage in the garden this year, and no problem with squirrels digging in the garden. Practically nothing, in fact. It's been like a miracle.

The other morning, I found out why when I went out on the back patio at sunrise with my cup of tea and was standing barefoot, six feet away from a very large, very mature, and very unafraid fox.

The not very large, mature, but moderately frightened human backed slowly into the house while the fox unconcernedly sat there and scratched an ear. Some time later, he or she slowly meandered off through the garden and down the line, doubtless to a den.

• Vicki Jackson
    3 years ago

Lol when we got home from vacation and found the squirrel it was 25 ft from the house and smelled up the whole area.

• Diane Smith
    3 years ago

Hi there,

Here I am with the rest of you searching for answers on those delightful squirrels burrowing holes in my fresh bark and, finally, in a lawn that looks halfway decent.

After reading so many suggestions I believe I've discovered my answer; we are down to 1 cat - an inside cat, whereas the other 2 really enjoyed hiding in the hostas, or wherever they found a great place to spy on the chipmunks, squirrels, birds, etc. However, where I live, cats are not allowed outdoors unless they are on a leash - I KNOW - rediculous. Good luck trying to retrain your outdoor cats once Animal Control gives you notice! (The things you learn along the way.)

So, do the pretend owls really work?

• danielj_2009
    3 years ago

Interesting how each situation is a bit different. We have a partially wooded back yard and tons of squirrels, probably because my wife feeds them and the birds each morning. They rarely dig into the lawn, though.

I don't like trapping because what happens if there are babies in the nest?

My new neighbor is a fireworks fanatic and lit off a bunch of large fireworks when he first moved in. The next day about 5 of our regular squirrels had burn marks on them and one was maimed so bad he looked shell shocked and couldn't walk right. We let the guy know what happened and he stopped lighting fireworks in a wooded area.

We had a family of foxes move in to a neighbor's yard a couple of years ago and while they do scare off the squirrels, they don't get rid of them. BTW, foxes will not attack anybody, dogs, etc. They just want to eat squirrels and chipmunks. Of course the wife is feeding the foxes now so they don't go after the squirrels. I disagree with doing that but she doesn't listen to me, lol. They got mange so we fed them a course of medicine, but other than that I think nature should be left alone.

• morpheuspa (6B/7A, E. PA)
    3 years ago

BTW, foxes will not attack anybody, dogs, etc.

A cornered fox will attack to escape, as will a frightened one, so this is an exception to that rule. As a general rule, though, a fox doesn't see a human or grown dog as a target, although puppies may be an exception in some cases. That was the reason I was a little concerned about my close contact with the fox on my patio. There was some chance said fox was going to feel a bit constrained. As it turned out, it didn't and simply trotted off down the path between the plants.

Mange in foxes can be fatal to them, so I applaud that particular choice. It can spread to dogs, although it's rare due to the lack of close contact between the species in most cases.

• danielj_2009
    3 years ago

@morpheus, yes I learned a lot about foxes. There were three of them and I noticed one day that one of them looked like the walking dead. I guessed mange and found someone on the internet who could confirm. The medicine is easily available and only take a tiny amount hidden in a meatball. The medicine is deadly to one or two breeds of dogs, spaniels IIRC, but we don't have any of those around here, and yes dogs can get mange from the foxes so it was good to treat them. The problem is they keep giving each other the mites that cause mange so you have to treat for a long time. Not sure if we cured them all but last fall they did seem to be recovering.

• dchall8 .
    3 years ago

We have red foxes in the area...which I only know because I hear them screaming a mile away.

I think any animal that gets cornered will attack. I had a chow dog that would only attack if she was cornered. If you've never seen a chow attack, it's over before you know it happened as the other dog generally responds instantly by rolling over.

• danielj_2009
    3 years ago

Just about any animal on Earth will attack or at least nip at you when cornered or, moreso, if cornered and injured. We have chinchillas and they are about as non threatening as an animal gets. They literally will not bite you when you grab for them. The only exception is when they are in the middle of fighting each other, or if they don't feel well and just want to be left alone. You get a warning first and then a nip if you don't stop. lol.

• whooops61
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

MOUSETRAPS - I am done with these costly little climbing rats!!!

• Ross Castellano
    3 years ago

If you remove their food they will stop trying to dig up your yard. There going after the worms There are lawn products that get rid of worms. If you get rid of them you get rid of their food will stop coming it worked for me

• Stephen Hobrecht
    3 years ago

krnuttle: If you don't have any positive input for the request, mind your own business. I have the same problem and looking for a solution as well. As human beings, don't we have a right to keep the squirrels from digging up our lawns? We are not talking about killing squirrels, just convincing them to leave our landscape alone, just like we use fences to keep deer out. You might say that it is not MORAL to put up fences to keep deer out because all of nature has rights to the land. As humans are the highest species on earth we have the option to manage the land we occupy. We live in a city with a lot of trees and the squirrels have overun the community. We have multiple squirrels on our lawn all times of the day.

• danielj_2009
    3 years ago

@Stephen I thought krnuttle's reply from 9 years ago was a useful answer. He's saying it is not easy to get rid of squirrels so maybe you can learn to live with them. Maybe there are some products that will help but in my yard it isn't necessary. The wife feeds the squirrels in our back yard all the time. I'm against this as it upsets the ecosystem, I believe, but I know when to give up the argument. I think the highest count was 18 squirrels chowing down on seeds and nuts, etc. Some will bury stuff in the back yard but the lawn is healthy and isn't negatively affected. Someone joked that they are aerating the lawn but really it isn't any different, if not more frequent. I think growing the lawn high, as you should be doing anyway (assuming a northern lawn) might hide whatever the squirrels do. I guess if you have tons of squirrels with a small yard that could be a problem, but what would cause such a situation in the first place?

• Alex Poniatowski
    3 years ago

Holy crap.. don't kill all the earth worms with chemicals. What are people thinking? You can trap the squirrels. I'm not going to say to live trap them, but will of course note killing varmints like squirrels is illegal in most places.