Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mofo2713

1' of irrigation test results...do you guys water this much too??

Mofo2713
11 years ago

So I finally got around to dropping tuna cans on the lawn last night and the results were pretty shocking to say the least.

I have a total of 7 zones in my yard...1 zone is just flowers.

So of the 6 zones dedicated to the lawn, I was only under watering in 5 of them!! HAHA

Zone 2 is on the south side of the house which gets sun all day long. I had it going for 36 minutes total and got a measly 1/2" of water. These are all static heads and the output isnt that strong since the strip I am covering is really long but only about 8-9 feet wide.

Zones 3 and 4 are in the front yard and was watering those for 42 min each. These are all rotary heads. Needless to say, I only got about 1/2 out of them as well.

Zone 5 is the north side of the house and I did 24 min total there. Actually this was the one zone where it was full so I am cutting back to 21 min here.

Zones 6 and 7 are the back yard with rotary heads. Each zone was going 39 min and 1 can was 1/2" full and the other was about 3/8" .

So in conclusion, I see what you guys are talking about when you say your water bills are insane in the hot summer months! I thought I would be a lot closer to 1" than what I actually was. I was starting to see some areas like what MW has that side by side picture of. Grass blade shrink up and get real wirey.

So now I have everything close to what it should be. I will do the test again next weekend and make minor adjustments as needed. So with my yard being right about 6k sq ft and my new calculations I will be watering a total of 426 MINUTES (7 hours and 6 min). I mean I know the tuna cans dont lie but it sure as hell shocked me to see that. I will also alter the tuna cans slightly next week and test from different parts of each zone to make sure my results arent skewed by a number of factors.

Does this seem pretty high to anyone else or am I in line with other people?

Comments (4)