Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
1' of irrigation test results...do you guys water this much too??

Posted by Mofo2713 North Dallas 7B (My Page) on
Mon, May 21, 12 at 11:53

So I finally got around to dropping tuna cans on the lawn last night and the results were pretty shocking to say the least.

I have a total of 7 zones in my yard...1 zone is just flowers.

So of the 6 zones dedicated to the lawn, I was only under watering in 5 of them!! HAHA

Zone 2 is on the south side of the house which gets sun all day long. I had it going for 36 minutes total and got a measly 1/2" of water. These are all static heads and the output isnt that strong since the strip I am covering is really long but only about 8-9 feet wide.

Zones 3 and 4 are in the front yard and was watering those for 42 min each. These are all rotary heads. Needless to say, I only got about 1/2 out of them as well.

Zone 5 is the north side of the house and I did 24 min total there. Actually this was the one zone where it was full so I am cutting back to 21 min here.

Zones 6 and 7 are the back yard with rotary heads. Each zone was going 39 min and 1 can was 1/2" full and the other was about 3/8" .

So in conclusion, I see what you guys are talking about when you say your water bills are insane in the hot summer months! I thought I would be a lot closer to 1" than what I actually was. I was starting to see some areas like what MW has that side by side picture of. Grass blade shrink up and get real wirey.

So now I have everything close to what it should be. I will do the test again next weekend and make minor adjustments as needed. So with my yard being right about 6k sq ft and my new calculations I will be watering a total of 426 MINUTES (7 hours and 6 min). I mean I know the tuna cans dont lie but it sure as hell shocked me to see that. I will also alter the tuna cans slightly next week and test from different parts of each zone to make sure my results arent skewed by a number of factors.

Does this seem pretty high to anyone else or am I in line with other people?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 1' of irrigation test results...do you guys water this much t

Sorry, title meant to say 1", not 1 foot! HAHA

o

I have an acre of lawn. And a hose and a sprinkler. But, yeah, for an inch, it takes over 6 hours with the max area sprinkler that I use.

o

Actually that is not bad application rates. 1 hour per zone is a good design goal.

Trick is to not try to do it all in 1-day. You want to start around 5:30 am, an hour before sun rise. Water as many zones as you can until 10:am. Repeat next day on remaining zones.

o

I measured mine yesterday at the new house. I put real rain gages next to the oscillator sprinkler and left it on for 2 hours. I got 0.6 inches of water. I have a 2-hour hose timer so I turn it on in the morning and again in the evening or lunch. Every system is different. Some can put out an inch in 15 minutes.

Watch your lawn to see when you need to water again. Don't just leave it on the schedule you had. After you apply deeper, it might last longer. The grass will tell you. Also since you are Dallas, the winds sometimes are humid from the south and sometimes dry from everywhere else. Keep an eye on that and when the winds are dry, you might need to water sooner.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here