Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
subywu

Certainty herbicide for Poa Trivialis

subywu
16 years ago

Certainty (Sulfosulfuron) made by Monsanto is a selective herbicide for control of annual and perennial sedge, grass and broadleaf weeds. In particular, it has post-emergent control over POA TRIVIALIS and POA ANNUA (to a lesser amt). Some university sites do mention Certainty and preliminarily report favorable results for poa trivialis control. It also can be used on warm season and cool season grasses.

Unlike Prograss which is hideously expensive, Certainty is only "very expensive". 1.25 oz of product is $100-130. From what I gather, this is enough to treat 1 acre. However, if you only need to mix enough for spot spraying affected areas, potentially this amount could last for a few years!

In any case, I urge you all to check it out and let us know what you think. I may try to get some for use this fall. If I spend $100 and use it over 3 years, that is worth it to me if it produces results. I know many of us are battling poa trivialis and are losing the battle!

Monsanto info on Certainty: Monsanto information

Ebay Source: Ebay source

Lesco Source: Lesco Source

Comments (16)

• subywu
    Original Author
    16 years ago

For whatever reason, when I use checkout on Lesco's website, they tack on $25 for shipping even though it is only 0.1lb (per site details). I emailed one of the sales reps to see if that is correct or not. It is not available locally for me.

• quirkyquercus
    16 years ago

It's showing up as $93.14 on the LEsco site. A lot cheaper than the ebay auction.

• rcnaylor
    16 years ago

Encouraging news. Thanks Sub.

• subywu
    Original Author
    16 years ago

It is not a panacea for all grasses. It looks like it will injure tall fescue so just make sure you read the label if you do decide to try it. From the Monsanto's pdf on poa trivialis in KBG, it looks like the product is devastating to poa while leaving the KBG unharmed--just what I need.

• rcnaylor
    16 years ago

You know, if my quick math is right (no guarantees), while I have an 8000 square foot yard, I only need to spot treat 2 or 3 thousand square feet, tops for poa annua. So, at .75 ounces per acre and 2 treatments a year, the amount they are selling it in provide me more than a 7 year supply.

C'mon Monsanto. Give us homeowners a chance. A hundred bucks to buy a 7 to 14 year supply. I'm pretty sure most homeowners don't buy their yard supplies in that kind of bulk.

How about putting it in homeowner friendly form/quantities?!

• ronalawn82
    16 years ago

Monsanto has put out some very effective products for Commercial Agriculture. Their research and product development do much to maintain the USA's #1 position in the world - highest yield per unit area. The common folk, like you and I, will have to wait until their patents run out and then other manufacturers can join in the fray and then prices will come down. Witness "Roundup"; expensive at first. Now "glyphosate - within our budget.
    And lest I be misunderstood, all of this is good.

• jimtnc
    16 years ago

If this stuff works on poa trivialis, do you think it would also work for poa annua? I'd love to find something to knock the snot out of my poa (annual bluegrass).

• morpheuspa (6B/7A, E. PA)
    16 years ago

Thank you! I placed an order, but certainly hope they aren't sending a truck to deliver 1.25 ounces of material.

I may be *winning* the battle, but if I can just nuke the stuff I'd be much happier and only have to apply chemicals once (or twice). I'll have holes over the summer but I do not care. Holes and the rare or not so rare weed are better than spreading Poa trivialis any day. And I can put my rake away.

• bpgreen
    16 years ago

"if I can just nuke the stuff I'd be much happier"

If you wouldn't mind the "nuclear approach" why not use glysophate?

16 years ago

If you wouldn't mind the "nuclear approach" why not use glysophate?

There's a good bit of decent bluegrass still stitched into the areas of triv which I don't want to kill. If I can encourage it enough, it might spread to fill a little bit of the gap.

In a few sections, the invasion is 100% over five square feet of area. In most others, 30-70% in larger areas.

I need to nuke the triv, not the good bluegrasses.

• Billl
    16 years ago

According to their testing, it will control annual bluegrass if you apply in late fall after it germinates. It is also listed to control fescue and rye in warm season grass, so I definitely wouldn't apply to a tttf lawn.

Anyway, if you are going to buy this stuff, please handle with care. The safety sheet says it caused tumors in rats when ingested. Presumably, you won't try to eat the stuff, but you will probably want to keep kids and pets off of the treated area.

This stuff is unlikely to ever make it into the mainstream of lawncare. The application rates are so tiny and the list of potential damage to different turfgrasses is pretty broad. They would spend all day fielding calls from people who accidentally killed off their lawn by overapplying or generally not following the directions.

16 years ago

The safety sheet says it caused tumors in rats when ingested. Presumably, you won't try to eat the stuff, but you will probably want to keep kids and pets off of the treated area

I wonder if it would taste good as salad garnish? :-)

Yeah, I hear that last bit. My tendency is to keep the dogs and myself off the treated areas for 48 hours. Since they usually recommend it only until it dries (call it 3 hours) I figure that's overkill.

Does anybody else have a good guideline they use?

• grasswhisperer
    16 years ago

Hi All -

Just checking in on the Certainty - after reading this thread I'm not sure if anyone here has actually tried it. Any results?

I have a common blend of creeping red fescue, perennial rye, and KBG - with growing spots of hideous poa Triv. I would love to hear that Certainty would be an option for me...

Thanks!

• Jesse Rausch
    5 years ago

It won’t be it kills all those grasses trust me

• mishmosh
    5 years ago

Certainty is no longer labelled for cool season grasses. Compared with Velocity, it is inferior but both leave much to be desired on poa triv control. It may be worth it to try if you are at your wits end and need something to try before a nuclear option is entertained. I personally think early spring selective roundup is the best way. But for poa triv that is young and intermingled with the desirable grasses... no way you can selectively apply roundup.

My current experiment is to hit it with Tenacity until it bleaches, then spray primo maxx and follow up with Tenacity. We'll see.

I would also urge you to NOT irrigate in the heat of summer. Poa triv is the least heat tolerant of your CRF, PRG, KBG mix. Hopefully much will bow out. Also be on the look out for seeding. If you don't frequently mow or let it grow too long, it will seed and then you have not just stolon spread but a seedbank to contend with.

• Tom McCarthy
    5 years ago

I used Certainty for the first time last year. I purposely anniliated several patches of Poa Triv. I then replanted in the fall and all was well. It’s a perennial rye and I live in southern NH.

This year the entire lawn seems to be “infested”. So I made two passes. Two weeks ago I applied the C to the more significant patches (different locations than last year) and then just today I applied to general areas of the lawn.

The initial application from two weeks weeks ago has show significant results. The treated areas will be fully killed off. Of course it’s too soon on the areas I just treated today.

If someone reminds me I’ll past back in 3 weeks.