Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
goldenz5

Help me level an established KBG lawn

Golden David
9 years ago

Hi Lawn care forum!

Last spring I tilled a weedy backyard at a new house and installed sprinklers.

I used rakes to level out the yard prior to laying about 1500 square feet sod, but did not roll or use any grading machinery. The sod I laid was a KBG, and it thrived last year and came back in great shape this year (plus dandelions), but is full and lush this spring.

It turns out my technique was flawed, since the tilled soil has settled unevenly over the last year. Another problem is that the irrigation trenches are even more settled than the rest of the grade.

So here's my plan to level my lawn without starting over or killing the turf. Please let me know if you have any feedback on this!

For 1500 square feet of grass, I figure I need 1 yard of topdressing for 1/4 inch of added height across the whole lawn. (1500sqft is 31.25 cubic feet at 1/4 inch thick, which is just over 1 cubic yard) Since some of the settling is severe I'll plan to apply double this amount over the summer.

1. get half a yard each of topsoil and builders sand delivered, and mix them together, truck them to the back yard

2. Cut grass to lowest setting on lawnmower

3. using wheelbarrow distribute evenly spaced piles of the mixture. Spread out with push broom and rakes. Do I need to make a dragger tool for this?

4. water in

5. repeat after 8 weeks

If anyone has suggestions or revisions to this plan I'd love to hear them. Thanks in advance!

Comments (3)