Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
compiler

Identify Weeds

compiler
14 years ago

What is this type of weeds with yellow followers? I sprayed the Weed B Gon 3 days ago but they are still growing well. Tough Weeds

Comments (9)

• andy10917
    14 years ago

You didn't quite get close enough in the video to make out the leaves of the weed. But since you describe small yellow flowers, and you're in Zone 8 at this point in the year, and it laughs at WBG, I'd ask one question: are the leaves very similar to Clover leaves? If they are, it's Oxalis (Wood Sorrel). It's real trouble if you let it get out of control. Use Ortho Clover, Chickweed and Oxalis Killer - and it may take a couple of treatments, but you'll win.

• compiler
    Original Author
    14 years ago

{{gwi:92219}}

• andy10917
    14 years ago

Nope, not Oxalis. Its "Black Medic", sometimes called Yellow Clover. Tell me where you live and what kind of grass you have. The Ortho product may not be right for you, but I'll know after you answer those questions.

• compiler
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I do not know the grass but can show the {{gwi:92220}}. What is it? My area is Athens, GA, Zone 8. In winter and spring my lawn has lots of henbit weeds with purple flowers. Now the weeds have yellow flowers. I follow some people recommendations of using Weed B Gon and the weed kille liquid instead of the weed and feed granular, but the result is not idea. Can you recommend an efficient and effective way to kill them? How soon will the weeds be killed after the weed killer is applied and how often should the weed killer be applied?

• andy10917
    14 years ago

We'll need somebody from the South to give us an identification of that grass. Don't use the the Ortho Clover/Chickweed/Oxalis Killer until we know that it isn't certain southern grasses that can be seriously injured by that product.

• hsvcara
    14 years ago

I'm going to guess it is common bermuda ... if it's sod, then it's probably a hybrid bermuda.

I have bermuda myself. I went to Lesco (John Deere) looking for a broadleaf killer and they sold me Three-Way. I had my doubts because my research didn't indicate that three-way was the best for what I had, but I tried it anyway.

The day after I sprayed the weeds, they were wilting and dying... faster than any other product I've used.

I got a 1 gallon container that will last me years - 1.5 ounces will do 1,000 square feet and I just spot spray. Granted, it was about $37, but it means I don't have to go buy herbicide every spring.

Here's the list of the weeds it controls:
    Bedstraw
    Black Medic
    Buckthorn
    Burdock
    Chicory
    Chickweed
    Clover
    Dandelion
    Dock
    Ground Ivy
    Heal-All
    Henbit
    Knotweed
    Lambsquarter
    Lespedeza
    Mallow
    Morning Glory
    Peppergrass
    Pigweed
    Plaintain
    Poison Ivy
    Poison Oak
    Purslane
    Ragweed
    Sheep Sorrel
    ShepherdÂs Purse
    Speedwell
    Spurge
    Wild carrot
    Wild garlic
    Wild lettuce
    Wild onion
    Yarrow
    and other broadleaf weeds.

• hsvcara
    14 years ago

btw, the active ingredients of Three-Way are
    ACTIVE INGREDIENTS:
    Dimethylamine Salt of 2,4-Dichlorophenoxyacetic Acid* . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 30.56%
    Dimethylamine Salt of (+)-R-2-(2-Methyl-4-Chlorophenoxy) propionic Acid**Â . . . . 8.17%
    Dimethylamine Salt of Dicamba (3,6-Dichloro-o-anisic Acid)*** . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2.77%

• compiler
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I will look at the Three-Way. Up to now I have not seen any efficient and effective weed killer in the popular stores such as the LowerÂs, Home Depot. Weeds problems seem discussed most in this forum but still have and more and more questions posted everyday about weeds problems. I see Weed B Gone is frequently mentioned but it actually has no superior effects than the other products. The Round Up works best. Unfortunately, it also kills grass. So it cannot be applied. I wish I could find a weed killer only product that works just like the Round Up except for the grass.

• dchall_san_antonio
    14 years ago

If I recall, coody has been left with a common bermuda grass lawn and some weeds. If Andy is thinking of brush-b-gone as a solution, it might work. I'd have to reread the bottle. I have not looked at it in years.

Apparently Scott's has purchased Ortho???? You can never go home.