Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bright green patches

Posted by W2IRT 6a NJ (My Page) on
Thu, May 3, 12 at 12:14

Hi again,
Over the past few years I've developed a lawn that's a patchwork of different coloured grasses. 80% is uniform, and fortunately the street-facing yard is the nicest looking but the side and back yards have all sorts of different colours, including some vivid lime-green areas. In addition, these bright green patches are growing like mad; after a week they'll hit 5" whereas the more traditional darker fescues will be 2.75 to 3"

I would say 50% of my lawn needs a sun/shade mix (under tall oaks), 25% can do full sun and 25% deep shade (northern exposure and/or under foliage). In the past I've used Scotts Deep Shade Mix for those shady areas and Scotts pure premium sun/shade mix for the rest. The nicest parts of the lawn up front are using John Deere Landscapes "Park & Athletic mix" and I will be overseeding with this every year from now on.

Any ideas on what I can do to get a uniform colour to my lawn? I buy my supplies at Lesco/JDL in NJ so any specific product numbers and application rates would be appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bright green patches

It's highly likely those lime green patches that grow quickly are poa trivialis, a grassy weed that is notoriously difficult to eradicate. As for seeding in heavy shade, you will probably have to use fine fescues, although there are some tall fescue culitvars that do very well in deep shade. Check out www.ntep.org to see which ones perform the best in the natural shade trial.

o

Wow...that's bad news by the looks of things. Is there any way I can get this repaired in a single season or am I looking at a multi-year progressive fix? I have a LOT of these patches and doing a full kill and lawn regeneration is a frightening prospect, especially because the area is pretty high-traffic.

Are there any selective herbicides that will get rid of this and just let me overseed?

o

Poa triv is pretty tough stuff, some even say Round-up won't kill it for good. It seems to come back the next year after that. Even if you get rid of it, then you will be left with bare patches. Some people have had success using Certainty, but I am pretty sure that will harm fescues. Seems like the only real fix is removing the top two inches of turf to get rid of the roots and stolons of triv, and start those areas over again.

o

It sounds like annual poa, Try to pull and remove the patches and roots if you can and overseed. good luck.

o

Poa annua is much easier to ID since it produces copious white seed heads in spring. Also it doesn't grow very fast like trivialis. If you have tons of seed heads in those lime green areas, then yes I would agree that its annua, but from his description it sounds more like triv.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here