Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Shaded, dead lawn with clay-like soil

Posted by Frannyz 6b (My Page) on
Sun, May 11, 14 at 12:21

Hi all. I'm looking for some basic diagnostics on what is going on with my lawn. It is mostly under complete shade under a row of trees and has very hard, clay-like soil throughout. It's very compacted and it forms pretty deep puddles when it rains.

It was mowed weekly by the gardener for years even when though there was almost no grass on it. It has looked like this for several years now.

My gardener planted grass seeds and used a cultivator tool on it a few weeks ago. Some baby grass is growing but it's fairly sparse. Is there anything more I can do to help my lawn from here? Obviously we'll stop mowing it.

These photos are from soil that was rained on heavily yesterday.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Shaded, dead lawn with clay-like soil

Deep puddles indicate a very serious drainage issue. The grass will never be right until you get that fixed. You likely will need to cut a swale into the yard leading to a gutter for drainage. Or if that treed area is the lowest spot around, then forget about turf grass and reconsider growing swamp grass. Or you could bring in more soil to fill the low spot. The problem with that is you risk smothering the tree roots and bark eventually killing the trees.

That soil looks sandy in your hand.

o
RE: Shaded, dead lawn with clay-like soil

Put in some drainage to take care of the standing water first. Consider using some shade tolerant shrubs and abandon the idea of grass. Put down some mulch, pine straw or bark, or other like material and start calling it a planting bed. There are also shade-tolerant ground covers to consider.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here