Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
l_w_davis

ID this weed please

l_w_davis
10 years ago

please help me ID this weed. I know there are probably a dozen weeds in this pic, but i mean the big circle of broadleaf looking grasses.

broadleaf weed sprays in the past havent phased it.

you can see a little bermuda growing in the middle.

it's an eyesore, is mostly next to the concrete areas.

hard to mow b/c it grows so low. even when the yard is mowed and has mostly a uniform look, this thing still stands out.

Comments (9)

• grass1950
    10 years ago

Looks like chickweed.

• grass1950
    10 years ago

Sorry, I mis-read your question. No idea on the broadleaf

• l_w_davis
    Original Author
    10 years ago

ya im looking to ID that broad grass that is growing in a circle shape

• grasshole
    10 years ago

What have you tried to kill it with?

It's so big I'd probably just spot spray that undesirable grass with round up. There is going to be some area for the Bermuda to fill in regardless of how you kill it, so make it easy. Round up and be done.

Otherwise, out if ignorance I'd guess crabgrass and try Image crabgrass killer or weed b gone with crabgrass killer. Even if I'm right and it is crabgrass, it is going to leave a large void for the grass to fill in.

• l_w_davis
    Original Author
    10 years ago

i put down crabgrass preventer.

i sprayed it liberally w/ trimec last year and it did nothing to it.

• Julie717
    10 years ago

It's really hard to tell when it's cut like that, without seeing what the seedheads look like. You need to know if it's annual or perennial.

I had a perennial weed called Dallis grass in my yard that looked like that. I got rid of it in my bermuda by waiting until fall when the Bermuda grass went dormant but the Dallis grass was still green. There is about a 2-3 week period for that to happen. Then I sprayed all the Dallis grass with Roundup to kill it.

Then I started putting down a crabgrass preventer to keep the seeds from sprouting. It's worked really well, I only get a few plants that I can just pull as long as I keep using the preventer--unfortunately I can't stop using that because it is all over my neighbor's yards.

• l_w_davis
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Julie, just googled Dallisgrass and im pretty sure that is what this probably is.

the seed heads do look like that (from memory)

I guess this is a type of crabgrass???

i did put down crabgrass preventer, but perhaps it was too late (we had a really odd spring) - Halts did nothing to stop this at all.

not sure I want to wait until fall to do something about this, might just try to dig it out and put some sod where the bare spots are.

the yard looks pretty solid right now, mowed...but this stuff is still an eyesore.

This post was edited by RB56 on Mon, May 20, 13 at 13:27

• napalion
    10 years ago

I have a lot of these in my lawn too, they stand out and are impossibly to get rid of without scooping up the whole are

{{gwi:92313}}

Would like to ID this type too, I believe is of the same type with the above pic. Some things I took note are , they grow year round, they develop very strong root systems (thick as thumb size), they grow deep 3-4 inches below ground, they grow from "knots" , so they will grow back from "knots" if not extracted completely.

Also, what kind of herbicide is your suggestion ?

• Julie717
    10 years ago

The reason your crabgrass preventer didn't work is that this stuff is a perennial that lives through the winter, it just goes dormant when it's cold. You have to kill it or dig it up completely, then use the preventer to stop the seeds from sprouting.

You could just kill it now with Roundup instead of waiting for fall like I did, since you only have a few patches of it. I had it all throughout the lawn and it would have looked really terrible if I had sprayed during the growing season.

It is not a type of crabgrass but the crabgrass preventer works on the seeds. Crabgrass is an annual that dies in winter so it's not as hard to get rid of as Dallis grass.

There is an organic prevention that you could also use called corn gluten meal. I used to buy it at the feed store but they stopped selling it so I have been using the crabgrass stuff. The CGM sold as fertilizer is muy expensive compared to the animal feed version. But you still have to kill the plants that are already growing, it only works as a pre-emergent herbicide to prevent seed sprouting.