Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Grass problems - too much rain?

Posted by mag9977 WA - pacific NW (My Page) on
Sat, May 26, 12 at 12:23

I am in Seattle and at the end of April I had my lawn thatched ,fertilized (lawn guy took 3 trucks loads of thatch to the dump) my yard is probably 1000sq feet. I had him come back last Saturday to overseed, and it has poured rain ever since.Today the sun is finally up. I can see the seed still on the ground, but nothing is happening. It is possible it got too wet? Or so I need to be more patient?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Grass problems - too much rain?

Depends on what type of seed he put down and what your soil temps are. If he used perennial rye, I would expect you to seed some germination by now unless it has been very cool. Tall fescue takes 5-15 days to germinate, but again, cooler temps mean longer germination. Kentucky bluegrass can take weeks. Seeds that are too wet can rot, and a lot of rain can move seeds around quite a bit, causing patches of really thick grass, and patches of no new grass. I would look at your seeds to see what they look like. If they look soft, dark, and waterlogged, they might be rotting. If they look moist and swelled with some whitish hairs coming out, then they are fine and germination has started. If you don't see hairs then be sure to keep them continually moist because if they dry out they will be worthless.

o

he used Pennington "smart seed" pacific NW mix 34% 1g squared perennial ryegrass, 34% APR 2105 perennal ryegrass, 14.5% 7-seas chewings fescue and 14.5 razor red rescue. rygrass germination 90% and the fescue is 85%.

The seeds actually look the same as they did when they came out of the bag. I do recal there being a blue colour to them and that has washed away.

o

I would expect to see some germination from the PR already, the fine fescues take longer. What have your daily high temps been in the past two weeks?

o

It has been 5-10 degrees Celsius. Today and tomorrow up to 20 and then to mid teens this week.

o

It has been 5-10 degrees Celsius. Today and tomorrow up to 20 and then to mid teens this week.

o

That's a big part of your problem, 5-10 degrees C (41-50 F) is pretty low, it means your soil temps are probably borderline for germination. Take your soil's temperature with an instant read thermometer. 50 degrees is the bare minimum for germination, 55 is much better, but germination will still be slow. The other issues are rain and lack of sun. Rain cools the soil, and the lack of solar radiation isn't helping temps either.

o

Do they measure temp in degrees C in Seattle?

You've had ideal conditions for seed to sprout. Is there anything you're leaving out?

o

"They" don't measure temp in Seattle as C, but I do as I am not American.

The only other thing that may have made a difference I forgot to mention, when he thatched back in April he also put a moss killer in my lawn. Unless he did something I was not aware of that could effect my lawn. I did notice he did not put something on top of the seed (peat moss etc) he said since it was going to be wet over the course of the week it wouldn't be necessary. Thats is all I can think of.

o

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here