Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best Grass Seed Mixture for MN

Posted by jkmereness 6/7 (My Page) on
Thu, May 12, 11 at 12:38

Hello-

I have a question about which grass seed/blend is best to overseed my yard with. I live about 10 minutes north of Minneapolis and St. Paul, Minnesota, which is a zone 6/7, depending on which map you're looking at. I plan on overseeding in late August, so I'm trying to set up a plan right now. I'm not sure which grass seed blend is best for my zone and yard. I have about 3,000 square feet. Very light foot traffic. I have moderate shade, about 3 trees that are approximately 15' wide. I don't have an irrigation system, so that's why I'm not going straight KBG. I've seen several different seed mixtures out there, from 40 KBG/40 Rye/20 Fescue to 90 KBG/10 Rye and others in between. I was just wondering what you guys think the best mixture for my situation is. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best Grass Seed Mixture for MN

I'm not sure what map I was looking at, but I'm actually in zone 4.

o
RE: Best Grass Seed Mixture for MN

"I don't have an irrigation system, so that's why I'm not going straight KBG."

This makes no sense to me. If you are going to seed your lawn, then you need to keep those seeds moist 24/7 for at least 2 weeks, longer for KBG. In order to do this you will need to set up hoses and sprinklers. If you can do that why can't you water in periods of no rain? Hose is cheap, and so is a timer system, which you will need anyway if you are overseeding. MN is KBG country. PR and TTTF can suffer cold kill in MN. TTTF and PR use less water than KBG, but it isn't significantly less, and mature KBG can go dormant during times of drought, the other two will die. Despite what you have heard, KBG can be grown in shade. As long as you get 4-5 hours of direct sun, there are cultivars that can do well. The problem is the seeds that the big box stores carry are generally older, poorer performing varieties that have little if any shade tolerance. They choose the seeds for you, and they choose whatever they won't according to what they have on hand, and how much profit they can make. If shade is really an issue, I would then go with a 80:20 mix of TTTF/KBG, otherwise I would go all KBG, but choosing seeds from a reputable seed seller.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here