Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Killing Billbugs

Posted by 407east none (My Page) on
Tue, May 22, 12 at 12:58

I've been fighting what I believe is billbug damage in certain areas of my lawn for the past couple of years. They're most likely bluegrass billbugs (very black). I've just applied some Grubex a couple of weeks ahead of the recommended application dates because of the really warm weather we've been having all spring to hopefully preempt their descent into the soil and roots.

Today I spotted a couple of billbugs in the lawn which means they're still out feeding and laying their eggs. I want to try and eradicate as many of them as I can before they lay more eggs.

What's the best pesticide I can use to attack them? I have some Bayer insecticide that's meant for trees, shrubs and lawns. It's the type that absorbs into the plant and kills whatever feeds on the plant. Any thoughts?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Killing Billbugs

These things???

Where do you live?

If it were me I'd skip the chemicals and put in a bird bath, bird feeder, and bird house.

o

Yup, those things!! I've been dealing with them for the past couple of years following a full yard renovation. My lawn usually looks great up until mid July when I start seeing the dead grass around the edges. Each year it gets worse and worse so I'm trying to be preemptive in dealing with them.

I live in Utah.

o

Utah. Thanks. I am sometimes mistaken for a tree hugger because I like organic lawn care. My first inclination to fight insects is natural predators. Birds, toads, and lizards are the more prevalent natural predators against beetles. When you spray herbicides, insecticides, and even some chemical fertilizers, you are chasing the predators away. By setting up a bird habitat, you are inviting them back despite any unforseen applications of chemicals.

Have you looked at the life cycle of these critters? Is it the adult that does the feeding and not the larvae?

o

It's the larvae that do the most damage but from what I've read the best defense is killing the adults before they lay their eggs in late spring...given the warm weather we've been having my guess is it's too late to kill the adults. I've nuked the lawn with Grubex which should kill most of the larvae but finding the adults in my lawn worries me.

Even after spraying some insecticide on the lawn I'm finding live ones still in the lawn...which further supports your advice about not using pesticides...because they apparently don't work.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here