Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
michiman

Does Grub-X kill earthworms?

michiman
15 years ago

When we bought our house the previous owner said he'd had a running problem with grubs and had used Grub-X several years in a row. I have noticed that I never see an earthworm on the property--not even after a hard rain. A few worms in the planting beds but not in the lawn. If so, that seems like a serious side-effect of the product.

Comments (6)

• paulinct
    15 years ago

Hi Michiman,

I have been trying to figure this out myself, since I have had serious grub problems in the past and just installed a new lawn which, though I would like to care for more or less organically, I do not want to lose to grubs.

I've read that the active ingredient in Grub-X is both "acutely toxic" to earthworms, and that, used as a preventative, it is less dangerous to them than the sorts of controls you need to put down once the grubs are more mature and the damage has started to show. I am guessing that both of those things are true, and so that the Grub-X will kill some earthworms, but fewer than some of the alternatives if used as recommended, when the grubs are young and easier to kill.

Tough call whether to use it IMHO. I myself have decided to, mostly because I have some bitter experience with past grub damage and I am willing to take the risk of losing some earthworms to avoid total catastrophe.

If some combination of milky spore and beneficial nematodes could guarantee me the same or even a close level of protection I would use that instead. But from reading around on those things I gather that it takes some time for them to become effective, and even then not all types of lawn damaging grubs can be controlled.

Curious to hear what others think.

Paul

• paulinct
    15 years ago

Hi Michiman,

I have been trying to figure this out myself, since I have had serious grub problems in the past and just installed a new lawn which, though I would like to care for more or less organically, I do not want to lose to grubs.

I've read that the active ingredient in Grub-X is both "acutely toxic" to earthworms, and that, used as a preventative, it is less dangerous to them than the sorts of controls you need to put down once the grubs are more mature and the damage has started to show. I am guessing that both of those things are true, and so that the Grub-X will kill some earthworms, but fewer than some of the alternatives if used as recommended, when the grubs are young and easier to kill.

Tough call whether to use it IMHO. I myself have decided to, mostly because I have some bitter experience with past grub damage and I am willing to take the risk of losing some earthworms to avoid total catastrophe.

If some combination of milky spore and beneficial nematodes could guarantee me the same or even a close level of protection I would use that instead. But from reading around on those things I gather that it takes some time for them to become effective, and even then not all types of lawn damaging grubs can be controlled.

Curious to hear what others think.

Paul

• lou_spicewood_tx
    15 years ago

If not all, most pesticides will kill earthworms to a degree. I don't know how toxic grub-ex is though. Having a few grubs per square foot is fine. I forget the number where you start to get worried. Hmmm is it 9 or 15? Anyway, I use beneficial nematodes to keep them under control. Is it working? No idea. Milky Spores is another one for colder area. I'm not sure where your area would classify though.

• auteck
    15 years ago

Milky spore ONLY controls Japanese Beetle Grubs, the May and June Beetles are equaly destructive.

GrubX and Bayer Grub Control are about the best 2 in retail package for the control of all white grubs.

• trthseeker6
    7 years ago

I used Milky Spore for the three years in a row; they then recommended, and spent over $500. It did absolutely nothing! I cannot believe someone still recommends this.

I had more grubs than before, and when I was pulling sod to make a walkway, I counted. In a square foot area I had at least 12. I called the company and they told me to send them to them. This meant bagging and packaging, and the mailing cost. At one time, early on I bought a lot of their other products and what encouraged me was their 100% guarantee that I could be almost 80% certain it was there when they first got this on the market. This later changed to "limited guarantee," and I can see why. This product was huge in stores about 10 years ago, but now it is small containers low on shelves. There is a reason why.

After waiting, I called and spoke to their lab stating that I need to put some soil with the grubs that I sent, but no one said that on my initial call. Here is what they were offering; more Milky Spore that didn't work. They will not refund a dime of your lost income.

I suggest that you buy worms on line. I used Grub-X and I have a lot of worms; the Robin's love my home for them. Grubs also like wetter soil and the only way to get rid of Grubs I learned, using Milky Spore is to have your hold neighborhood using it, and discourage home owner's from putting out traps that bring them to the area.

I also bought some nematodes, but the company didn't tell me they were coming and that they were fragile; and they sat on my porch for two days in the sun. They were not active when I put them in water. BE AWARE of where you are buying them.

I loved not killing my worms, but you can make a worm bin with moisture/leaves/vegetable scraps and they will multiply quickly.