Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wingz991

Please help me interpret report

Wingz991
10 years ago

Hi all,

As suggested, I submitted a sample of my soil for testing. Attached is the report I was provided (Other than spot spray for dandelions - I've done nothing this year). Can I please ask for some assistance in interpreting this report in layman's terms, as well as a suggested course of action? I see I have overages/deficits, but not sure how to fix.

While the lawn is mostly green, it is a very light shade of green, and has a very shallow root base. It appears that it has a healthy layer of thatch built in, however, based on my test holes, the entire depth of the lawn is no more than 1 to 1 1/2". It has been de-thatched a couple of times over the past few years.

Any suggestions are very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Tim

Comments (6)

• grass1950
    10 years ago

There are people experienced in reading soil reports who occasionally visit this site, but I haven't seen them in a few weeks.
    In the meantime, I can tell you that:
    1. your micros aren't bad, but macros P and K are low.
    2 the TEC is in a good range. your soil is likely a sandy loam and you have decent OM. Mulch mowing and mulching leaves will add additionally to the OM.
    3. Your PH is higher than desireable -slightly below 7 and above 6 is the preferred range. PH is a reflection of the hydrogen in the soil and the test reveals yours as 0.. .High PH retards nutrient (including mineral) availability. There is no fast way to lower PH. Use of sulfur coated fertilizers will help. The chemical process that makes synthetic fertilizer available to the turf will also produce hydrogen.
    4.Your magnesium to calcium ratio is high. This can cause "tight" soil. Adding lime will only adversly affect your already high PH. Adding gypsum will increase the calcium level with little or no affect to the PH. Gypsum will also help leach some of the magnesium out. In addition to helping bring your ratios into line, the leaching will make the magnesium available to the turf (grass uses mag. for photosynthesis) and will help improve color.
    If andy10917 doesn't give you a read and recs, I would suggest you apply a starter fertilizer at a drop rate of 1# of N now, mid June and early September. This will help improve your P and K and the sulfur coating may help your PH harm. Add 10-20# /k of gypsum now and again at the end of the season. Folliar iron applications will also help color. Use Milorganite in July and August for the iron and OM. Wait to see if andy 10917 responds before you impliment my suggestions.

• texas_weed
    10 years ago

Wrong website to ask this question.

• grass1950
    10 years ago

texas-weed,
    Well, it's not like the OP will google search "andy10917" and "tiemco" and "soli test" to find the other website. You tell them the name, I don't want to get banned.

This post was edited by grass1950 on Mon, May 13, 13 at 20:01

• Wingz991
    Original Author
    10 years ago

thank you all - I understand now.

• andy10917
    10 years ago

Too funny!!

• texas_weed
    10 years ago

texas-weed,
    Well, it's not like the OP will google search "andy10917" and "tiemco" and "soli test" to find the other website. You tell them the name, I don't want to get banned.

Me neither as Ivillage will kick me around the yard