ksmith72

Bermuda Seeded Lawn question/progress

ksmith72
10 years ago

Photos
http://i.imgur.com/Qei6yfC.jpg Backyard Photo 1
http://i.imgur.com/y38GDeR.jpg?1 Backyard Photo 2
http://i.imgur.com/Mwx3CBS.jpg?1 Fertilizer Bag

I planted my Bermuda on May 3rd. Temperatures were still in the mid 70's with overnight temps around 55-60 degrees. Around May 8 our 80 degree temperatures kicked in with overnight lows in the 70's. I planted using a slit seeder after killing everything with Round-up the week before. I also ran across the yard a few times with the slit seeder empty to loosen up the soil at the suggestion of a forum user here. I am not sure as to whats going on here. This is an irrigated yard. I think what has happened is the center area drains off and maybe the sides stay a little too wet. I irrigated 4 times a day for like 8 minutes I believe. The yard IS wet in these photos as we had thunderstorms yesterday. A few questions, I am assuming the seed just sat there for 5 days or so until we reached the 80's. From what I see it just looks like it might be over watering. If I did over water would my seed now be bad or has it not been in the ground long enough to go bad. I also assume that I should back my water down to maybe three times a day for 4-5 minutes. There is green in the bare spots, but obviously not as thick and it hasn't popped like the center. The ONLY other thing I can figure is over fertilized. I had an older bag of Scotts Starter Fertilizer and used it and ran out so I went and bought another bag, SAME product. Dumped it in and used it. After doing this I happened to look at the bag and the rate was different in the new bag. In the old bag a rotary spreader was to be set at 6 and a drop spreader at 3.5. The new bag had it reversed at 3.5 for a rotary spreader and 6 for a drop spreader. Scott reps on the phone say the new rates are right, but I am guessing they are reading from a cue card of information. However, if true I would have applied double the rate in the last section.

Comments (6)

• texas_weed
    10 years ago

Well three things are going on from your description.

1. You pulled the trigger way to early. Soil temps need to be above 65 degrees for Bermuda to germinate from seed. That means high 80's to low 90 degree days and night lows in the mid 60's.

2. If you used a Slit Seeder, you planted the Bermuda seed way way too deep. For Bermuda yu just loosen the top 1/4 of soil, Broadcast the seed, then roll it down to make contact with the soil. General rule with any seed is to plant no deeper than 4 times the diameter of the seed. Bermuda seed is the size of a small grain of sand.

3. Lastly the least of your concerns is Bermuda slow to germinate, 7 to 10 days if conditions are right.

So for now be patient, see what happens, and when it warms up enough if nothing happens try again with knowledge gained from your mistakes. When and if you try again, loosen up the top 1/4 inch of soil, mix in some 10-10-10 just before seeding, seed, and then roll down.

Have a nice day.

This post was edited by texas-weed on Wed, May 22, 13 at 17:46

• ksmith72
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks texas. I have read where "bermuda will not germinate just broadcast on the soil" So, as long as I roll it that is enough, it doesn't have to be covered?

Also, I did use a slit seeder, but I didn't plant it very deep, I just basically scratched the surface. I had killed off everything that was there with round up and basically wanted to tear it all up and use it as kind of a mulch on the grass seed. I say none of the scratches were over 1/8"

This post was edited by ksmith72 on Wed, May 22, 13 at 19:45

• texas_weed
    10 years ago

For Bermuda all you need to do is loosen up the top 1/4 to 1/2 inch of soil to get it almost like powder if possible, Spread the seed, then just a light raking to cover the seed up. 1/4 inch is about perfect. After that roll the area with a water roller.

For now just be patient, and see if what you planted will take off. If not then try again but I think you might have some success with what you have done so far. You will know iin about a week.

• tyson1
    10 years ago

I planted bermuda on may 15th. pic shows the progress so far.
    The thicker grass portion is what I planted last year.

I killed everything w/ a cheap roundup like product. watered daily - then killed anything else that came up from 3 weeks. Aerated, then spreaded compost about 5/8" deep; rolled the compost - spreaded the seed then rolled seed. I water 4x daily for 12 minutes to keep soil moist.

• BermudaTamer
    10 years ago

I'm in NC and don't expect any new seed growth for a while if you are in a hurry take some sod cut into 3x3 squares plant it. Night time temps are still low so until late June seed doesn't move very much.

• auteck
    10 years ago

There are much better turfgrass choices for NC than Bermuda as our climate isn't exactly what this grass likes year round nor the homeowners are willing to maintain it in way that it can shine.