Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When to give up on grass seed

Posted by Misfit50 5 (My Page) on
Fri, May 16, 14 at 13:25

I planted in early April but spring weather has been crazy.
Warm snaps and cold snaps. Seed has been kept moist through out.
I still have not seen any sign of the seed germinating. Just wondering if I should give up and start over or hang in there.
My choses are stay the course, add more seed or put away the sprinklers and start dealing with the weeds.
I should say I am over seeding a mostly fescue lawn.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When to give up on grass seed

Hi Misfit50,

I planted grass seed as well but at the beginning of this month. We've also had warm and cold snaps. Some of my seed has began to sprout.

I'm on this forum attempting to get help so take my feedback with a grain of salt. I was told that fescue should sprout in about 2 weeks. I was told to hand water rather than use the sprinkler.

Hopefully someone with more experience will chime in.

o

Misfit, how did you prepare the soil for the seed?
How did you do the actual seeding?
Where do you live?
What seed did you use?

o

When seed doesn't thrive more than once, consider the possibility that something is wrong with the soil that you are planting into...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here