Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is this grass - What can I do with my yard?

Posted by StarChyldd none (My Page) on
Wed, May 28, 14 at 13:27

I have this same issue every year, and every year it takes me forever to get the yard back, but I can not keep the weeds away. I realize I need more water, but what can I do with this yard? I need help! I am located in central Florida. No shade in the front yard, full sun all day. ALSO, in the picture you see thick green grass. I don't think it is grass, I believe it is some sort of weed or crab grass or the like? Does anyone know what this is? It is ALWAYS green, never gets nasty, and stays really full and thick pretty much all year regardless of what the rest of the yard looks like.

HELP, THANK YOU!!

PS - New member, Jason, Lakeland, FL

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is this grass - What can I do with my yard?

Here is another view of the yard/grass.

o

And one more, last one..

o

It is Bahia, I can tell because in the photos you can see the black V seed heads.
I will guess you live below the mason Dixon line or if in Cali, south of SF.

I just reread your post, your in FL. This is an OK low maintenance grass. No need to fertilize, but if you do, it will grow fast and need to mow twice a week. If you leave the seed heads on for over 2 months they will become viable seeds.
You can use 2,4-d as a herbicde. Metsulferon will kill it, along with many other herbicdes.
I would suggest to self install an irrigation system. Then decide what kind of grass you want. Many people in florida have Bahia for lawns. If you keep this as your lawn, I will suggest that you mow it high, 2-3 inches as this type of grass is an open grower. The lower you mow, the more sun gets to the soil, the more weeds you have. My house had this when I moved in, I installed irrigation, killed off the lawn with round up and plugged an empire zoysia lawn.
I would suggest that if you do not like yard and lawn work, keep the bahia, if not, I would look into bermuda (princess or riveria), zoysia, and last, if you have no traffic in your yard (dogs or kids) and you like the spongy feel go with SA.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here