Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mrbradg

What type of grass do I have?

MrBradG
9 years ago

I have several questions and this appears to be the right place.

1. What type of grass is this? I assume its common Bermuda but I want to make sure. (Thinking of seeding with cold weather grass this fall to get a year round green.)

2. Does anyone have any recommendations on these patches in the picture? There are several areas where the grass doesn't growth upright or isn't as lush. I haven't cut it in a week due to vacation and I was hoping when I returned it would thicken up in these places. Any advice would be great!

Thanks ahead of time!!!

(My pictures were coming in side ways so I uploaded to Flickr)

Here is a link that might be useful: Grass

Comments (6)

• dchall_san_antonio
    9 years ago

Since the grass is that tall with no seed heads, I suspect it is zoysia. It might be a hybrid bermuda. You should gradually bring that mowing height down to 2 inches plus or minus 1/2 inch. I also suspect zoysia because of the size, color, and nature of the brown spots. If this is zoysia then those spots will turn dark gray for the rest of the season and come out green again next year. If it is bermuda, then it should clear up.

If you really want to mow, water, and fertilizer all year long, then remember next April to kill the rye. If you don't then it will delay the return of the zoysia until summer. The rye causes enough shade that the zoysia will remain dormant until the rye dies out.

The reason your pictures are sideways here is you are holding your phone sideways. Upright (portrait mode) is considered sideways. Landscape (sideways) is considered upright.

• joneboy
    9 years ago

Not common bermuda. Looks like hybrid bermuda. Looks pretty good over all. Make sure to keep it well fed in the summer a pound of N per thousand sq.ft. a month during the summer and mow lower.

• MrBradG
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the responses. I'm now thinking I didn't dilute my weed killer enough which caused these spots. I must've killed the grass along with it. Should I overseed or spot treatment for these?

Also, I did mow to 2 inches and it looks a lot better. Does anyone recommend a good Nitrate to apply?

• sherm1082
    9 years ago

If it is Bermuda, you are going to get an overwhelming amount of advice not to overseed. Bermuda is aggressive and it will fill any bare spots.

As far as a fertilizer, I use a 29-0-3 lesco fertilizer. I also use milorganite as a supplement more so for the iron than the nitrogen.

• MrBradG
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the help! Where do you purchase this Lesco brand at? I see a few items at Home Depot but that's about it.

• sherm1082
    9 years ago

You can get Lesco products from a John Deere Landscapes store. I'm not a fertilizer expert. I don't know how Lesco compares to any other brands. That is the one I hear recommended the most so that's what I get. Also there is far more variety with Lesco than with other brands.

This post was edited by Sherm1082 on Mon, Jun 2, 14 at 17:59