Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
l_w_davis

Dallis grass, the bane of my existence

l_w_davis
10 years ago

http://0.static.wix.com/media/83da95_de10afb6df8ab05da1b8dd7ad9672dfc.jpg_512

this stuff has been an eyesore ever since i moved into my house 4 years ago.

i have bermuda.

i put down Halts but it did nothing to stop this from growing. my timing might have been poor with the crazy temps this spring.

how does a person get rid of this stuff? the good news is it's not like a total infestation.

it's pretty localised to along the driveway and near the edges, just of one spot in the front.

i could did it out if i needed to and it not be a major project

Comments (5)

• rager_w
    10 years ago

I posted this earlier this year. I spot sprayed with Celsius. Glad to report it is mostly gone now. I missed a few....
    http://www.backedbybayer.com/system/product_guide/asset_file/13/Celsius-WG-Application-Guide.pdf

• texas_weed
    10 years ago

Man I feel your pain, and you have a very tough battle to fight. To gain control is 3-fold.

1. Is Pre-Emergence which is too late for you. Only reason I bring it up is Halt's is not very good product and pretty much useless to prevent Dallis Grass.

2. For Post Emergence is a two fold at attack. The most effective is digging them up especially when they first emerge.

Second line of attack if digging is not practical is using a selective herbicide. Th Employment Prevention Agency took away the best tool we had, MSMA. However Revolver works pretty good but will take a few applications. .

3. Is just plain ole good lawn care to keep the turf tight to prevent the seeds from germinating.

What makes Dallis Grass so tough is it is a lot like common Bermuda. It propagates via both seeds and stolons (underground roots/runners?. They produce large quantity of seeds very quickly So fact the seeds can develop in between mowings. This is why mowing frequently is so important.

Then there are those nasty Stolons underground you cannot Chances are good all those clumps you have are connected together from the same Mother Plant. This is why it is so important to dig them out as soon as they emerge before they send out Stolons to pop up a new plant a few inches away.

So start digging and spraying. It is going to be a full growing season long battle.

• l_w_davis
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Weed,

Halts was the only crabgrass preventer I could find. Next time I go to tulsa or go through sprindfield I am going to find a JD Landscapes and find something better. Any recommendations?

I think when the weather gets better I will just go out with my sharp shovel and start digging.

but what to do with the bare spots?

should i buy a small amount of sod and just cut it to fill in the hole?

• l_w_davis
    Original Author
    10 years ago

and weed, is there a weekend warrior version of Revolver that doesnt cost $250+ for a gallon jug???

• Julie717
    10 years ago

I posted again on your earlier thread, didn't see this one at first. There is more info there as well.

You won't have to worry about bare spots for long with Bermuda, it will spread to cover them if you water it enough.

The crabgrass control I have been using is the Howard Johnson brand (prodiamine). But remember it won't prevent the plants that are already present because it is a perennial--the Halts and prodiamine just keep seeds from germinating.

If you are going to dig it all up, you shouldn't need to use Revolver or Roundup. But you will keep having to put down the crabgrass control pre-emergent because of the seeds in your lawn.