Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kineticmind

Overseeding Bermuda + Wheat Straw = ?

Kineticmind
10 years ago

Hi,

I live in Georgia and have been meaning to do a little bit of an overhaul to my yard for a few years now. I've finally gotten around to it and am a little concerned that I may have made a mistake.

My front lawn is almost entirely bermuda, with the exception of some zoysia from my neighbor's yard that is slowly creeping into mine. Last year, I had to have several trees removed from my yard because they were encroaching on overhead power lines. I wasn't too concerned with this because I was having a difficult time keeping the bermuda growing in the shady areas anyway.

I decided to overseed the entire lawn yesterday. However, because my yard sits at a bit of a slope, I was told by a gardening center employee that I should also put down 1/2"-1" of wheat straw on top of the lawn for erosion control purposes and that it would eventually degrade and work its way into the soil, providing extra nutrients. Well, I did that, and after taking a closer look at the yard this morning, I've noticed quite a few grain heads mixed in with the straw. A lot of them, actually.

I know that if the wheat does germinate - which it most likely would with all the extra watering I'll be doing for the next few weeks - that it will eventually die off from repeated cutting as well as the high heat from the Georgia summer.

But I'd prefer minimizing the chance if at all possible. So should I go out and rake up most of the straw since I just seeded yesterday and I wouldn't be risking pulling up tender seedlings at this point? Or has the damage already been done and I just need to get ready for a bunch of extra mowing this summer?

Thanks for your time,
Ryan

Comments (8)

• rager_w
    10 years ago

I made that same mistake a few years ago. I think the damage is done. It really wont be that bad. A year from now you can use pre M and spray for weeds. You can hand pull this year :)!

• Kineticmind
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Rager,

I think you're right. I went out to spread the straw around a bit more so that it wasn't too dense in any single area, and I was able to find plenty of grains that already found their way down inside the grass... so I can't imagine that raking up the straw would do anything besides defeating the original purpose I intended to use it for.

The gardening store my wife bought it from told her it was just straw, and no grains, but apparently they were mistaken. Oh well, live and learn!

• dchall_san_antonio
    10 years ago

I believe the idea to overseed was a mistake. For the clerk to sell you straw was like the clerk at McDonald's asking if you want fries with that. You did not need it and, worse yet, it might provide enough shade to thin out your bermuda and allow weeds to get a foothold.

Find the Bermuda Bible online and memorize it.

• Kineticmind
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi DCHall,

Thanks for the reply.

After reading through some previous threads on this forum, I heard the recommendation for the Bermuda Bible several times and actually did find it earlier this afternoon.

To my surprise, I was actually following several of the recommendations to the T without even knowing it; i.e. frequent mowing (every 3-4 days), mulch mowing, fertilization, and weed control. I haven't, however, done a stellar job at consistent irrigation and thatch control. In fact, this year was the first time I've de-thatched my yard in the 8 years I've lived in this house.

After removing a lot of thatch, the grass was pretty thin in several areas. That, coupled with the bare patches left behind by the trees I had removed last year, left me with a rather sparse looking lawn this year. That was primarily why I decided to overseed. My goal was to revive the lawn with some new growth and to follow an established regimen (like that found in the Bermuda Bible) closely to get the best results possible.

That in mind, would you still say it was a mistake to overseed? If so, what makes you draw that conclusion?

As for the straw, I'm just having to bite the bullet on that one. I know now it was a mistake and I got out and thinned it as much as possible without disturbing the existing grass and freshly laid seed. I tried to make sure there were no large (1' or more) spots where sunlight wouldn't be able to reach the grass. Again, that was more of a live-n-learn type deal for me. I wish I had visited this forum before I decided to lay it down, because I'm regretting it now. But what's done is done, unfortunately.

Anyhow, thanks again for your time.

This post was edited by Kineticmind on Sat, May 18, 13 at 22:53

• dchall_san_antonio
    10 years ago

Mistake to overseed simply because you already have bermuda. It grows and spreads like wildfire. You can't stop it from spreading.

• Kineticmind
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ah, i see. That makes sense and i don't foresee myself needing to overseed again in the future, especially if I stick to the regimen put forth in the Bermuda Bible.

Right now I'm just hoping for the best outcome and learning from my newbie mistakes!

• BermudaTamer
    10 years ago

I would rake it up go buy a few roles of sod use a bulb cutter/knife and cut 3" sections out of the sod. Then use the bulb cutter or shovel and dig the ground out and plant the 3" sections. Depending on the area if its large use string to plant them in line. Either way this will do better than the seed and sod is pretty cheap $5-10 a roll.

• Kineticmind
    Original Author
    10 years ago

BermudaTamer: Thank you for the advice. How much area does a single roll cover? The bare areas I'm dealing with are decent sized, with the smallest being a good 3' in diameter.

Also, how far apart would you recommend spacing the 3" plugs? Or is the goal to try and cover as much of the bare patches as possible with the sod?

Sorry for all the questions. I'm still learning.