Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Proper Lawn Mowing Techniques (Austin, Tx)

Posted by lawncareenthusiast none (My Page) on
Thu, May 29, 14 at 14:38

Hey Everyone,

It seems that none of my neighbors know how to mow their lawn properly, given the amount of tattered grass I see. This is an article I commonly refer them to. I have personally sharpened my neighbors' mowing blades and seen results in weeks, so i figured this may be helpful to you.

PS: These lawn care tips are good everywhere, not just the greater Austin area.

Here is a link that might be useful: 3 Tips for Proper Lawn Mowing in Austin

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Proper Lawn Mowing Techniques (Austin, Tx)

That site is HILARIOUS! I'm sorry if that's your site, but y'all definitely are not from around here. It shows in your use of the language. Here's a paragraph from the essay on watering.

4. Water tough areas by hand instead of with a sprinkler

Many people make the mistake of believing that every component of their lawn will be taken care of by the sprinkler. DON’T fall into this assumption. Pay specific attention to those zones that will never face the luxury of shade and ensure that you give that fact proper respect. If needed water them more than once a week. Do not over compensate for that given area by progressing to re-water your entire lawn. This lesson is more common sense; however, is embarrassingly one of the most commonly not accounted for.

In what part of the US is that phraseology normal? It looks like it was copied from the Farmer's Almanac in the 1800s.

Also it is not correct about overseeding. First of all it never explains why you might want to overseed in Austin, Texas. Since the lawns are either bermuda or St Augustine, neither of which ever require reseeding or overseeding in Austin, Texas, why would there be such a lot of space spent on the process. Contrary to making your neighbors envious, it would mark you as a Yankee who doesn't know anything about southern lawns.

And finally, if you have St Augustine in Austin (Texas), don't mow it lower than 3.5 inches. It will become weedy with common bermuda if you do.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here